Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

David Hinds

AlistairHowie

My experience with David Hinds ...and I will just point out that I am well aware they don’t deal with customers directly, so I always made it clear that my dealer didn’t have an answer and I needed their advice ...

Back at the beginning of December I emailed them asking if they could help me locate a CPC1100 in the South East so I could see how heavy it was. Their reply ....

Unfortunately we do not have a showroom, and do not have any scopes on display, so we cannot be of any help.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

DAVID HINDS LTD

So I tried again asking if they knew which retailers might be likely to carry them ...

It would be a case of calling round dealers to see who has one on display. Most dealers do not carry the whole range on display due to space etc.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

DAVID HINDS LTD

Having gone ahead and bought the scope, I emailed them over Christmas about accessory mounting screws on my OTA which appeared too long, because their dealer didn’t have an answer ...

No reply

I then emailed them asking for their advice on a slewing noise and whether the scope should go back for warranty repait, because their dealer didn’t have an answer ...

No reply

I emailed Celestorn in the US and got an answer in 24hrs saying I needed to return it for warranty repair.

I emailed Hinds on January 13th asking for a rough turnaround time on my NEW scope ...

No reply

I emailed them again ...

Can you please advise re the below [turnaround time], or on the other questions that I’ve sent to you in 3 or 4 emails since Christmas, and which my dealer has been unable to answer?

I know you don’t deal with consumers directly – that’s fine – but having just spent £2.5k on a new Celestron scope that appears to have missed the QC department, it would be courteous to at least acknowledge my emails rather than completely ignoring them and causing me to liaise with Celestron in the US to get their input on the problem.

What is a consumer meant to do when their dealer doesn’t have an answer?

Their reply?

Your scope arrived back to us at the end of last week, and will be dealt with at some point this week. We will contact your dealer once we have completed the inspection/repair.

Kind Regards,

DAVID HINDS LTD

I have since been having some serious problems with alignment and asked my dealer for some advice – he passed my query onto Hinds on 2 February. So far, I’ve not even had an acknowledgement let alone a reply.

Nuff said.

• 5 years later...

I'm not sure this really counts as a true Supplier Review, since David Hinds are the UK distributor for Celestron and supply the dealers rather than selling directly to the public. But I hope it's appropriate to post anyway.

My C11 experienced some unwanted rodent-based attention in the observatory during a period of down-time. The original posting is here...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/304331-wanted-standard-focus-knob-for-celestron-c11/

So on Philip R's suggestion, I contacted Celestron via their central support page. They referred me to David Hinds as the UK support centre.

48 hours later, and I have a brand new replacement rubber focus knob cover on my desk, and no charge - not even postage - along with some advice to install mouse traps, which I've already implemented...

Impressive and gives me some confidence that if I ever needed support for more fundamental issues, there would be a way forward.

So thank you D.H., and to Philip R for the suggestion.

Nigel

• Like 4

I feel it only fair that I give a thumbs up for David Hinds Ltd, of Leyton Buzzard. They didn’t supply me with any kit but did quickly supply me with information.

I emailed asking how one should pronounce Baader - Bahder or Bayder? Dr Lee Sproats replied extremely promptly and deserves acknowledgement for quick ‘customer satisfaction’. ?

For those who care (sad souls like me?), Lee says there is no consensus on pronunciation - Bahder, Bayder or, even, Badder(!) are acceptable, apparently. But there is a consensus on what constitutes customer care, in all its forms ... and I received some.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just want to say a big thanks to these guys for helping me work out some issues I was having with my edge HD focal reducer. 

I was initially thinking I had a spacing issue but after following the tests that Celestron had set me and posting them my results for analysis it turned out I had a defective reducer. After each successful test they were very quick to respond and very helpful. 

I wasn’t expecting much in return as the reducer was a year or so out of warranty but without hesitation Lee Sproat and his director agreed to replace it. 

That is quality customer service, thanks ! 
ken 

• Like 1

All I can say is these guys are amazing. I am new to the whole of Astronomy. I have a telescope we've had for a number of years and not used a Celestron 6SE and star sense. I have raised so many tickets as I work the telescope out , and the two guys Dr Lee and Daniel have been really great and very supportive. I feel so confident that they will get me on the right track.  - Very happy with this level of Customer support!