SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Internal IR filter removal on Canon 500D

cowasaki

I've just got hold of a 500D and was going to remove the interval IR filter from it. I'm a Nikon Pro user and this is my first Canon which I bought so that I can test my latest invention and also use it for astro work and possibly the occasional terrestrial IR shots.

Looking at some sites there seems to be a "clip in" filter place on Canon cameras so would I be right in thinking that I was remove the built in filters and then fit a plain glass plate. THEN fit one of these alternative filters into the "clip in" location?

If this is the case then any suggestions for the plain glass filter? I've heard of Astronomik from a US site, are they decent?

Once the plain glass plate is fitted which filters would people suggest? I am interested in deep space shots eventually but would love to get some planetary shots first as I build up my knowledge and experience.

I will do doing the modifications myself. Any other modifications worth doing on the 500D?

If you want to do the occasional IR imaging, then you'll need to remove both the filters.

For astro imaging a UV-IR filter needs to be added somewhere.

To compensate for the change in focus due to the 2mm of glass removed, you need either a 2mm clear filter fitted to the body (not sure Astronomik have a 2mm available) or use clip-in AstronomiK MC filter with EF lenses.

Hope this helps...

So can I fit a clear glass cover and keep auto focus working then...

Use a colour correcting screw on filter on the front element of the lens

or

A filter for terestrial IR photography again screwed onto the front element.

If you want to do the occasional IR imaging, then you'll need to remove both the filters.

For astro imaging a UV-IR filter needs to be added somewhere.

To compensate for the change in focus due to the 2mm of glass removed, you need either a 2mm clear filter fitted to the body (not sure Astronomik have a 2mm available) or use clip-in AstronomiK MC filter with EF lenses.

Hope this helps...

I answered without updating the screen....

So I would need to replace the original filter with 2mm glass and buy a clip in filter for astro photography which would not cause any issues because I wouldn't have any lens fitted.....

Then for terrestrial shooting I remove the clip in filter and fit either a screw on colour correcting filter OR a screw on filter for terrestrial IR photography.

basically yes....(there are two filter elements to be removed.)

But as I said you may have difficulty finding a 2mm thick replacement.

I don't know of any good colour balancing filter which could be fitted to the lens...this normally requires setting up a Custom White Balance in the camera.

Archived