Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yellow Moon

Astrosurf

As I left work this evening I nearly swallowed my tongue at the huge yellow Moon. I dashed home (within the speed limit!:icon_salut:) and managed to get snaps with my simple Panasonic Lumix bridge. It's not great, and possibly a bit dark (processed a bit with PSP), but it gives you an idea of the colour. It was darker yellow when I left work!

Alexxx

post-14350-133877729161_thumb.jpg

Nice pic! I noticed this orange glow last night just peeking over the top of a neighbours house, I rushed to get my camera but by the time I got it (less than 2 mins) clouds had completely obscured the moon. I wasn't quite sure if I'd imagined it or not.

At least now I know I didn't :icon_salut:

The wife and I went out to take the dog for a walk at around 6:40pm, and I saw the rising moon too, only I saw a reddish orb.

The apparent size always surprises some people, but it's simply due to the comparison made between the moon, and a ground based object. It's an illusion. If you use a micrometer to measure the apparent diameter of the seemingly huge moon, then measure it later when it has risen high in the night sky, you will find it is exactly the same size :icon_salut:.

Ron.

I don't think I've ever seen such a yellow Moon. Maybe someone can explain the colour, and the size. It was huuuge. I know I could Google it but it's nice to chat!

i dont know the technical terms, but the light from the moon is travelling through more of our atmosphere when viewed low on the horizon.

this scatters the light waves more and allows more of the red waves through than blue,reculting in a moon looking anything from yellow to red.

nice pic by the way,i took a quick snap myself

Nice image, captured the colour well.

I am taking a break from DSO's at the moment as well, Have overlooked the moon and planets for too long, the images in this section give plenty of inspiration

Have fun. And of course you'll post any images you have!

I must stop looking out of the side windows and through the sun roof when driving home from work!! I even open the sunroof when at traffic lights sometimes! My 1 yr old looks at me as if I'm bonkers at such a thing.

Fab piccy Alexx!

I must stop looking out of the side windows and through the sun roof when driving home from work!! I even open the sunroof when at traffic lights sometimes! My 1 yr old looks at me as if I'm bonkers at such a thing.

Fab piccy Alexx!

Arrr, well you're a stargazer. Once one, always one! Get your little kid behind a scope as soon as poss! :icon_scratch:

ha yes

Well the big un will look at pics on here and go 'woooo thats cool'

And if he doesnt have to hang about the garden for long he will look down the scope and say 'ohhh thats cool'

and the little one just tries to climb on it and chew the EPs. Might give him a year or 2 ;P

ha yes

Well the big un will look at pics on here and go 'woooo thats cool'

And if he doesnt have to hang about the garden for long he will look down the scope and say 'ohhh thats cool'

and the little one just tries to climb on it and chew the EPs. Might give him a year or 2 ;P

That had me in fits. So very 'kids'!

Archived