Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

South-West Devon

benjii

I'm curious as to see how many of you lot are in this area. What dark sites you go to etc. I'm in Paignton, which is an awful place to observe as there's light pollution in every direction. The only place I can think of to go is Dartmoor, but that's still covered in snow and I won't be able to drive up there. Does anyone have any alternative ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

^ Is there a LP map for Wiltshire? I'm approx 5 miles from Swindon. If I look North the LP is huge. If I look south it is vastly improved. I'm thinking of going another 5 miles further south for darker skies.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm on the Avex site. Which is very helpful.

I'm in Paignton as well Benjii, like you say the light pollution is awful. Keep meaning to get up to Dartmoor but never got around to it.

@ Laser jock-Prawle is quite a trek from Paignton, a good hour as it's not good roads that way, it's quicker to get to Dartmoor.

Looking at that map there should be plenty of decent sites around the South Hams and Teignbridge areas, I might try to keep my eye out for some while I'm on my travels, I spend quite a bit of time around the South Hams for work.

Ah, thank you for the map. The milster, do you just view from your garden? It's hard finding somewhere suitable in the area, I've been looking on google maps around the Stoke Gabriel area, but nothing has really caught my eye.

i realise it's a bit of a mission to get to the nlo from paignton (gotta love the kingskerswell road on a friday evening :icon_salut:), but i'm a member there too, and it's the cat's pyjamas. even though it's a long way, if it's clear there'll be plenty of people there to pull an all nighter with - lots of the more hardcore stay into saturday to do some solar, so i hear.

Yeah benjii, I've only used my scopefrom my garden so far. Street lights and security lights a plenty :icon_salut:

As for the nlo, I'll definitely have a look of getting up there at some point soon, that'll certainly give me aperture fever. No new scope for me for a good while yet though.:thumbdown:

@ Laser jock-Prawle is quite a trek from Paignton, a good hour as it's not good roads that way, it's quicker to get to Dartmoor.

As a car-less youngster I used to cycle from Devonport to Rame Head to do my observing & photography. Took a couple of hours each way. I must have been dedicated or mad!

Archived