Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Who has the biggest one?

Linton Guise had something over 20 inches, I believe. Mine's a 20 inch. I bought it used on the UK market for about £1400. When they appear the big Dobs don't command huge prices but you need a certain nerve to look at the thing and say,'OK, I'll take it.' They are quite a commitment. Mine came down to France happily enough in an old Astra estate but it stays firmly put now that it's here. It has been a great success and keeps getting a little better as we work on it. It would be nice to refigure the mirrors and I have just the right chap in mind...

Olly

Largest aperture, my 10" F4.3 reflector

Largest focal length, my mate's 6" F12 refractor (1800mm)

I went to the Royal Observatory Greenwich just before Christmas but unfortunately it was too windy to use the 28" F12 refractor. It was pretty cool just to see it but I'll have to go back another time...

What an amazing location for an observatory :)

3253519401_de2b16c379.jpg

Monta Rosa Massif by Mark S Payne, on Flickr

Located on top of one of the left hand peaks in this image :icon_salut:

It was. The 60" has been decommissioned, I heard. Made some great shots of the Alps when I was there (slides, so I will have to scan them at some point).

It has to be said, you don't often see "ski-in, ski-out observatory" listed as a feature in the holiday brochures...

James

Not open to the punters I am afraid. Anyway, this beast had such poor tracking performance I had to hand guide it :). We took at most 45min of exposure for the IR spectra we were gathering (10 micron band). You had to hand-draw a little square on the monitor, estimating were the signal started to drop off, and then keep the guide star inside the square. The signal I had to keep high was displayed on a meter behind me (which did not help). Having to ground yourself every time before you tapped in commands to change tracking speed or move in dec, to prevent blowing up (yet) another keyboard was also entertaining. You got a nasty static shock every time, due to the dry air. After 45 min of staring at a little dot within a tiny square on a snowy CRT screen I was completely exhausted.

I bet I hand guided a bigger scope than most SGL members. It is not nice :icon_salut:

Ouch, that sounds like no fun!

I also visited the Sphinx Observatory on that trip.

Its where I proposed to my Mrs :)

Did you offer her the Ring Nebula? :icon_salut:

There is a nice story that one of the engineers on the Hale telescope proposed to his girlfriend in the prime focus observing location after pointing the scope at M57. He is supposed to have said something like: "I would have liked to offer you that ring, but will you settle for this one?" whilst offering the real ring.

Archived