sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

My 200P Solar Filter

welshrob87

Just finished making a solar filter for my 200P Dob. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

As you can see in the pictures the solar filter has notches cut out to fit over the knobs for adjusting the vanes, and has a couple of pieces of elastic across the notches which locks the filter in place.

Having the notches also means that whatever way the solar filter is put on the scope the aperture will always be between the vanes.

I've also made a smaller filter to fit on the finder scope. it's a pretty close fit but will probably need to get another bit of elastic to secure this down to stop any chance of it being knocked or blown off.

Just need to wait for some clear daytime skies to be able to test it.

post-32637-133877728754_thumb.jpg

post-32637-133877728761_thumb.jpg

post-32637-133877728768_thumb.jpg

Well done.

A nice neat piece of work there!

I'm sure you'll enjoy what the sun has to offer.

Thanks :D Just need a sunny day now to find out how well it works :cussing:

Hmmmm... i just used the cap on the dust cover... which i think is 55mm... might have to make a bigger, (and in my mind) better one :clouds1:

75 mm was as big as I could get away with that would fit between the secondary mirror and a diameter of the aperture of the scope, 200mm.

• 1 month later...
Hmmmm... i just used the cap on the dust cover... which i think is 55mm... might have to make a bigger, (and in my mind) better one :icon_salut:

jimmyjamjoejoe I am really interested in how you have used the cap on the dust cover to make the filter. I also have a Skywatcher 200p Dob. What kind of results are you getting and have you taken any special precautions to ensure that no extra light gets in and that the dust cap can't come off accidentally? I would be quite interested in seeing some photos of your set-up.

Jan

I'l try and get some photos, though it looks like a blue peter job.

I basically started by wrapping a piece of card around the hole in the cap and taping it, then added about 5-6 layers, giving me a ring of card with an internal diameter the same as the hole in the cap, but the "walls" were about 10mm thick.

I then cut 2 rings of card that would just sit ontop of that ring, and sandwiched the filter between the 2 rings, fastened by small bits of double sided tape.

Then i taped the ring with the filter ontop of the thick ring, and smothered the whole thing in tape, making sure every single bit of card was covered.

It's very sturdy and unbendable, and since the ring was originally fit to the cap, the extra tape i added in the last stage thickened it out and makes it VERY snug and definitely won't come off.

I'l try and get some photos, though it looks like a blue peter job.

I basically started by wrapping a piece of card around the hole in the cap and taping it, then added about 5-6 layers, giving me a ring of card with an internal diameter the same as the hole in the cap, but the "walls" were about 10mm thick.

I then cut 2 rings of card that would just sit ontop of that ring, and sandwiched the filter between the 2 rings, fastened by small bits of double sided tape.

Then i taped the ring with the filter ontop of the thick ring, and smothered the whole thing in tape, making sure every single bit of card was covered.

It's very sturdy and unbendable, and since the ring was originally fit to the cap, the extra tape i added in the last stage thickened it out and makes it VERY snug and definitely won't come off.

Thanks or the advice, as long as it's secure, I can handle Blue Peter. Will be interesting to see what it looks like.

Nice one! Keep meaning to make my one for the 8".

I like the idea of using the spider screws as locating holes.

Thanks, took a bit of effort getting them in the right place but think it's worth it now I've had a chance to use it. Don't have to worry about where the opening is as you know it will always be between the spider vanes. Plus the elastic across the locating holes do a good job of stopping the filter being knocked or blown off.