Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No filters required to learn the moon...

The Warthog

The moon was a few degrees north of Venus tonight, a thin crescent, about two days old. I didn't have the chance to observe last night, because of cloud, but there was none tonight. I already had the reflector set up on the mount, so I used it. The view of the moon was crisp and clear. I centred it in the 24mm SWA, and messed about with my 7x50 finderscope until it was dead centre, then swithced to the 8mm X-Cel (96x) and set about walking up and down the very curved terminator.

The shadow was about half way across Mare Crisium, and I swung north to take in Langrenus, Veldelinus, and Petavius which make a neat row along the terminator, each slightly different from the other, but similar in size. Langrenus and Petavius have centreal peaks, but Veldelinus does not. Veldelinus has two rim craters, Lame' to the south, and Holden to the north (I didn't know they named craters after Australian car makers :insects1: ) Petavius has a small crater just off the south east wall, Wrottesley.

Further north, and along the same curved line, Furnerius looked like a deep hole tonight, as the shadow of the walls completely covered the floor. Trying to remember the names of even the biggest craters is a job and a half. I don't know who can name all the small ones lying around.

Now. just to the north of Mare Crisium (always my favorite because of its nice roundedness) are two Maria that I swear I hadn't noticed on the map or on the planet before. They are Mare Spumans, and Mare Undarum, which I immediately christened Mare Sputum and Mare Underwear. They are small and squarish, and I wouldn't have called them Maria. Maybe Laci. The very edge of Mare Fecunditatis was just visible. At least I've heard of that one.

Things were a little more confused to the south of Mare Crisium. I picked out Messala, but my feet were getting wet as I had run the sprinkler for quite a while on the lawn earlier in the evening. I put in my 6mm Antares Barlowed, and had a look at the floor of Crisium. I could see some detail on the floor, but it was a bit sketchy. I need a better short focus ep, as the barlowed 6mm plossl isn't comfortable to look thorugh.

Turned my attention to Jupiter. Although I was able to focus the moons to nice sharp points, I wasn't able to see much on the disk. It showed hints of banding, but I still haven't seen the Ruddy Great Spot, or whatever it's called. It's a lovely night out. I should set out my sleeping bag and take advantage of the cool night air, but I don't think Mrs W would like that...

Great report WH you seem to know your lunar geography, I think I could do with some one like you when I'm observing the moon I usually spend hours aftwards trying to Identify what I've been looking at. This helps though LINK

Darren

Archived