Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

to flock, or not to flock??

Hiya,

The reason for doing it is to reduce the internal reflections in the optical tube which in turn helps boost contrast of the observed image giving a darker background.

Most people flock newtonian type telescopes but a few also flock Refractors as well. Me included

160139-first-light-report-vixen-sp102m-f-10-a.html

I purchased my flocking material from FLO as I could not source it from a hobby shop...

First Light Optics - Black Velour Flocking Material (45cm x 1m)

Mine:

78720d1328193238-first-light-report-vixen-sp102m-f-10-img_1325.jpg

Hi Spacemonkey.

Flocking is usually done to newtonian reflectors, but other sacopes may benefit.

The (not so) black paint inside the tubes reflects stray light onto both primary and secondary mirrors. this gives background glow and so poor contrast. Especially if you are having to deal with a lot of light pollution.

You can demonstrate this by shining a low power red torch into the tube side away from the 'glassware'. If the view through the eyepiece turns red, you have a case for flocking.

Flocking is usually done by applying a sticky back (or gluing) matt black layer to the inside of the tube. Near the top of a newt is the imprtant part.

Hope this helps. David.

Aha 3 almost simultaneous writings!

I'm thinking of doing this. Though i don't have much light pollution, one thing that struck me when moving from the frac to my 200p was the "background glow".

I want to do it, but can't help but think it'l be an absolute nightmare to get the stuff in there, straight, stuck correctly etc etc... Just how manageable is it? or is it worth going for the non sticky "spring into place" stuff?

I found doing my 10" Refector sort of easy, remove every thing,cut the flock to length to go round the tube, peel back a 1" or so line it up with the tube them rub in as you go round, 2 and a bit lengths and then put it all back together, i marked the mirror holder with a bit of tape so the same holes were lined up then collimate all done...

First Light Optics - Black Velour Flocking Material (45cm x 1m)

I'd agree with Tinker. I just flocked my 8" reflector, it was no trouble at all. It hardly needs collimating either as you've not really adjusted anything, just remember to measure your spiderveins before you take out the secondary, it just makes things easier when putting it back together.

Archived