Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dss problems

carpman

I have been trying to stack a large collection of photos (550) i started last night and again this morning and both attempts have ended with a blank screen:BangHead: ? i am letting dss set the settings

i would'nt mind if it was only a few hrs but it takes nearly 12 hrs to complete

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually thinking about it a bit more, once you have hit on a working batch size, you could try:

- separate your images into batches, each in their own folder

- Run DSS on each batch separately

- when each batch has been run separately, try running through the whole lot again, this time making sure the "Register already registered pictures" option is cleared. That way DSS should just pick up the registered file info.

When you say that you end up with a blank screen, do you mean that it completes the registering and stacking process and the resulting autosafe.tif file is blank when shown in DSS?

If you do open the autosave.tif file in Photoshop or GIMP and see what you get. I regularly get what appears to be blank images at the end of the stack.

When I open them in PS and stretch them a little the info is all there.

Cheers

Ant

I get no image at all. No autosave.tif or anything. very strange as it was working fine. I thought it might be the RAW images but I just tried again with some lights and darks that I had previously stacked ok and.....nothing. Weird.

Well if that's the case, try re-installing DSS. I once had a very weird fish-eye type problem in my images, and even images that had previously stacked OK turned out with the same weird effect. A re-install fixed that :icon_salut:.

Right just to follow up on my problems I have cut down the amount I was stacking from 550 to 250 then to 100 and still the same result no end product but I was sitting at laptop when the last stack failed and it sAid run out of memory !!!!

My laptop is running win 7 with 4 gb ram . I have now cleared some more hd space and am gonna run a batch of 50 lights ( how many darks and flats should I use ???) but I will double check des settings tonight

I assume correct me if I'm wrong but when it says about memory it's talking about hd not ram .....

that's very odd... I'd guess you have drizzle enabled, using drizzle consumes huge amounts of memory, 4x as much for 2x drizzle, and 9x as much for 3x drizzle. I've stacked 160 odd 12Mp raw frames from my 450d and whilst it took many hours work, it completed ok.

that's very odd... I'd guess you have drizzle enabled, using drizzle consumes huge amounts of memory, 4x as much for 2x drizzle, and 9x as much for 3x drizzle. I've stacked 160 odd 12Mp raw frames from my 450d and whilst it took many hours work, it completed ok.

When I tried the 250 lights 30 dark 13 flats it told me it needed 80gb to process stack I think 2 x drizzle is on but can't b sure, but as for time the first failure took about 14 hrs I left it run through the night even cutting the stack in halve didn't make much difference the last attempt took 8/9 hrs that was using registered pic 100 lights and 2 masters

Another question i hope some 1 on the same - ish subject well des any with the troubles I've had I been looking at other help for dss

My question is when I look at the score of my pics it ranges from 700 - 0 , on tutorials there pic scores r in the 2000 + plus range y is that ?

Make sure that you turn the drizzle off.

Try stacking a small amount say 10 RAW's and make sure that it does complete OK and give you an autosave file.

DSS I'm pretty sure is a 32bit application and will only ever use up to about 3.5gb RAM.

Cheers

Ant

Right a follow up on the follow up lol

everything seems to be ok at the mo so far i have processed

a small stack of 12 lights

a stack of 58 light 30 darks and 13 flats

a stack 0f 140 light 30 dark and 13 flats all on standard settings apart from using mosaic instead of standard mode now chancing my arm with 300 lights 30 darks n 13 flats see if that gives me a result

Which version of DSS are you running? I found for my Canon RAW files I had to install Version 3.3.3 beta in order to stack RAW. You may need to decrease the light intensity of your stacked image, if your subs are too long for your light pollution or if the moon was out or if you haven't taken darks the noise in the subs maybe drowning out your signal.

What was it ? Turning off Drizzle ??

I did turn of drizzle x2 but also reset all settings back to average i should be finished doing the stacks today on basic settings will try run big ish stack tonight with drizzle x2 then try using sigma and see wot happend

If you want to use the drizzle, you need to set the ROI on an image first... Select one of the image files, then you should see an option on the right hand side which is a red box... Select that, and draw out to the x2 drizzle size. That will contain the memory so that you can complete the stack. Without defining the ROI you will always get the memory errors due to the size of SLR frames.

Just out of interest why are you drizzling x2...

dSLR files will already be pretty big, typically bigger than 3000x2000 pxls.

I just wondered why?

Cheers

Ant

I wanted to use drizzle so that when I crop it down I should still have a nice size image

Archived