Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plato craterlets and annotated moonmap

Avdhoeven

Using the images I made last week I decided to test my telescope resolution. Plato is a good object to use for that as the craterlets can be used as an indicator of scope quality. The images are made with a C11 at f/10 and a DMK21-618 with an 807nm IR filter.

This resultated in the image. I was astonished to be able to distinguish so many craterlets.

20120205144440_plato_craterlets.jpg

I also made an annotated map for visual reference. It's shown here:

20120205144727_moon_0102_annotated.jpg

Avdhoeven that is one beautifully crisp mosaic and the annotation, especially of Plato craterlets with sizes in LRO image is very informative :icon_salut:

I note that you have produced this image at F10 and I'm sure that if you image at F25-30 you will be even more surprised how many craterlets your excellent C11 will reveal !

To follow up on Steve's proposed challenge and of course to add to the never ending C9.25 vs C11 debate I have included my best ever Plato from October last year taken during much better than average seeing with the same camera chip and IR filter. Over sharpened to reveal as many craterlets as possible. A bit noisy but I count about 24 with my face buried in the screen :)

A new Plato challenge thread perhaps Steve?

Alan

post-14899-133877729364_thumb.jpg

Archived