SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen a80mf advise please :)

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with vixen scopes and in particular the a80mf. I'm looking to upgrade the 60mm nexstar that came on the slt mount. Hopefully want to get some good planetary images. Is an 80mm big enough to resolve much detail. It's primary use will just be a grab and go of course.

Thanks in advance :D

have a look in lunar imaging, i have a post on the first page with a couple taken with my TAL, but last pic a few posts down taken with vixen, i have to say i think the custom dates back to a time when the optics were a little better

I have a current A80Mf, and use it for White Light observing of the Sun.

(I've also used MANY! for donor scopes in the PST mod)

They give excellent performance and clarity. Bang per buck, you won't be dissappointed.

Thanks guys. It does seem a very good price. Was going to go down the SW evostar route and get a 102mm but cant get hold of just the OTA. This vixen is a lot lighter aswel so will be kinder to the mount. Ive had no experience with vixen scopes and dont notice many members using them but from your comments Im thinking the deal is sealed :D

I own the A80MF and I'm happy with it. For its modest aperture I've had brilliant moon views and of the planets too (Low mag for nice crisp images). My favourite thing about it is the focuser screw which most of the lesser expensive scopes don't have, it good for stopping movement in the tube. Being F11.4 I could see a huge difference in star shapes towards the edge of FoV compared to my only and other F4.4. As for imaging I have attached a few I've taken with my Canon 550D and this scope, showing its potiental. I would definately recommend it, also it works very well with Baader Astrofilm to view the sun in white light.

post-25468-133877728861_thumb.jpg

post-25468-133877728869_thumb.jpg

Archived