Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coming home if it doesn't fit in a 5-door Mondeo it will be going in the bin lol

I'll be bringing along an HEQ5 pro mount + two small refractors and a bit of imaging kit (DSLR + DMK). This alone take up about 1/3 of the back of my estate car! With tent, clothes, table, chair, cooking stuff etc. this will FILL my Focus Estate. :)

Perhaps now is a good time to remind first time SP goers that it is perhaps best to take the fuses out of your cars indicators and interior lamps if you will need to get into your car during the night.

I learnt the "WHOOOOPS" way at my first star party, when all the indicators flashed and the puddle lights came on, illuminating a large area :hello2:

Also, if anyone at the SP does have lights that are spoiling your dark adaptation, dont be afraid of a friendly word to the wise. Often imagers have quite bright screens on laptops, even though they are covered in red film, and just dont realise that they have an effect.

Also, be prepared for being night blind and losing dark adaptation when visiting the toilet block. I know some SP goers will cover one eye, or wear red specs, with differing degrees of success.

We just put our new SP tent up tonight, getting quite excited now :)

Tim

Perhaps now is a good time to remind first time SP goers that it is perhaps best to take the fuses out of your cars indicators and interior lamps if you will need to get into your car during the night.

I learnt the "WHOOOOPS" way at my first star party, when all the indicators flashed and the puddle lights came on, illuminating a large area

Or my solution of changing all the courtesy light bulbs in the car for red LEDs (I do get some strange looks in non astro environments) plus if I open & lock the car with the key instead of the remote the indicators don't flash. :)

I am getting dropped off by the Mrs on Wednesday and left 'sans transport' until the Sunday. So no flashing car lights from me! My lappy lives in a crate covered by a blanket and I have a sheet of 1/4" red perspex to cover the screen much like First Light Optics - Red Filters for Laptop but at the princely cost of two beers for the DT teacher at my wife's school :)

Rather than try to remove the correct fuses in my car I found that a pack of black art paper and a roll of masking tape allowed me to cover up all my lights. Last year I had quite a few sheets left over. I'm sure it will be the same this year. Come and ask if you need some.

Andrew

If anyone would like to share the views through a larger dob than mine or an ED frac my dad and I would be overjoyed. We can pay in jaffa cakes :) I can't wait to try and see some more detail in galaxies and nebula

If anyone would like to share the views through a larger dob than mine or an ED frac my dad and I would be overjoyed. We can pay in jaffa cakes :hello2: I can't wait to try and see some more detail in galaxies and nebula

I'll be taking my ED120 refractor and you are welcome to have a look though that. A larger newtonian would be a better bet for detail in DSO's though.

I looked though a 20" at the SGL star party a couple of years back which was a "double edged sword" - amazing views but tinged with the realisation that even my largest aperture scope would never get anywhere near those views :)

I am getting dropped off by the Mrs on Wednesday and left 'sans transport' until the Sunday. So no flashing car lights from me! My lappy lives in a crate covered by a blanket and I have a sheet of 1/4" red perspex to cover the screen much like First Light Optics - Red Filters for Laptop but at the princely cost of two beers for the DT teacher at my wife's school :)

Exactly the same here, Im getting dropped off so no car to worry about. My netbook also lives in a crocbox along with the other electrics and I use my lucky carpet tile to prevent any stray light. Once its set up I can just leave it closed and view whats going on over a VPN with the other lappy. Still need some of that red film from Helen though, even if the main lappy is in the tent.

Im hoping to keep it all down to 3 crocboxes, 1 flightcase, tripod legs and a couple of backpacks, should fit in the car ok.

I think I've found an Io transit of Jupiter and the GRS on Saturday :) I've updated the Information pack to show the details.

Form an orderly queue behind the big scopes lol

Thanks for this information. I will definitely have a go on the transit. Originally I planned most of the observing time for DSOs.

Kev

Maybe you should add comet Garradd to your notes...below M81/82 during the week..

My favorite objects at this time of year include M104 the Sombrero galaxy..the return of globulars M3/M13 stunning..I must finally back M83 this year which is due south during the star party..

Mark

Kev

Maybe you should add comet Garradd to your notes...below M81/82 during the week..

My favorite objects at this time of year include M104 the Sombrero galaxy..the return of globulars M3/M13 stunning..I must finally back M83 this year which is due south during the star party..

Mark

Thank you Mark, I'll update the notes.

Edit: updated to include The C/2009 P1 (Garradd) path during the Star party week. Info pack now at version 10 :)

Archived