Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

Where can I buy some red acrylic film for the laptops?

Art supply shop. It's usually so cheap the postage of buying them online can be more expensive, but if you don't have an art store nearby, search red acetate sheet

Does everyone put their tripod straight onto the grass...

I do

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put my tripod legs onto some hard plastic matting so the legs dont sink into the grass if the mud is soft underneath , it also gives me somewhere to put the battery / electric's away from any damp.

Couple of newbie questions...
  • Where can I buy some red acrylic film for the laptops?
  • Does everyone put their tripod straight onto the grass, or should I get some pads or something? I've already bought a scope cover!

Cheers :D

Last year one of the mods (Helen) brought along a big roll of red acetate.

Last year one of the mods (Helen) brought along a big roll of red acetate.

...and will be bringing some along this time too :headbang: It'll be available in the Welcome Tent :D

Helen

<note to self: write it on the board to remember>

I would advise putting he tripod legs on something other than the grass. Last year on the Friday one of my tripod legs sunk 1/2" and threw off my PA. Since I was unguided I had to drop from 2min to 1min subs. I didn't work out why until the next day. That was with a little 150P / EQ3-2.

I have some little notched plastic discs for the EQ6 this year.

Hi Lewis,

The red film is obtainable in Hobbycraft and art shops. They have a shop in Norwich.

The film is called "Red Cellophane" and is in rolls of 500mm x 2.5 metres. This one is ideal for use at star parties.

Do not purchase the red one they sell with a silver backing as it is useless for Star parties.

It is important to spread the load of the tripod legs.

I use wooden blocks which seems to do the job. I stand on them before putting the tripod on them. This help to bed them in.

Others use plastic spreaders.

Some used the barbeque breeze blocks (campsite property) at last year's event. They are nice and heavy.

Plus a red torch is needed as white light after dark is not appreciated!!!

Trust we will meet up for a chat.

Cheers

Adrian

This is what I use. A simple block of wood for each leg, mine is 8" x 5" x 1½".

A hole drilled in each corner to peg it down with tent pegs (wire ones), and a countersunk dimple in the centre for the tripod to sit in and not move about.

I setup with a compass, and when I'm happy with the position I peg down the wooden blocks.

Should I need to move the setup for any reason, the blocks remain accurately placed ready to place the tripod in the dimples.

Very lightweight and takes up little space.

post-19789-133877743863_thumb.jpg

This is what I use. A simple block of wood for each leg, mine is 8" x 5" x 1½".

A hole drilled in each corner to peg it down with tent pegs (wire ones), and a countersunk dimple in the centre for the tripod to sit in and not move about.

I setup with a compass, and when I'm happy with the position I peg down the wooden blocks.

Should I need to move the setup for any reason, the blocks remain accurately placed ready to place the tripod in the dimples.

Very lightweight and takes up little space.

Smashing. That's the same concept I used, except I used round white plastic discs rather than wood.

Thanks for the tips all! Helen, I might have to rock up to the welcome tent armed with a pair of scissors then please :D

Don't want the tripod subsiding so I'll probably go with the bricks idea...

i notice FLO have a couple of pitches, are they taking some stock with them for us to impulse buy? i may be in the market for a new scope and some accessories

Normally its a pitch for Steve and another for James , Martin etc , not sure how big a van is coming this year but they normally bring something "new"

If there is something in particular though i would make contact via their helpdesk and see if they can help :)

Just been to Go Outdoors and bought a new little tent, didn't fancy putting up the big 10 man thing we have just for a couple of nights!

Got a Xenobia 6, it got decent reviews and has enough space for our big camp beds and astro desk, oh, and the family :)

3 Bricks.. put the points into the grooves and the weight then beds them down quickly.

I've tried wood but it takes longer to bed down and not sink.

Great idea, Ive been thinking about this problem too. I will have a look out the back to see if ive got any bricks or broken paving slabs. Failing that, I will just saw up a plank of wood :)

I'm getting worried !!!!

I thought I would get all my photographic gear together in one room and set the mounts and optics up and check I have all the cables, distribution boards, usb hubs, adaptors and plugs and and and lol

I put it all back in the boxes and crates and I'm seriously worried about car space and I haven't even thought about collecting the camping gear together yet! It's going to be an interesting packing exercise

Hi Kev,

If you think you are having problems packing the car at home, just imagine what it is like at the campsite when you want to go home!!!

The gear just seems to grow................

Good Luck!!!!

Adrian

Coming home if it doesn't fit in a 5-door Mondeo it will be going in the bin lol

Archived