Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

Will we be at Lucksall next time? I hope so because its fairly central location puts it within striking distance of quite a proportion of SGL members, which may be a reason why it sold out so quickly.

It was so good, im slightly depressed that ive had to come back to my light polluted neighbourhood, my attempted top up of M101 RGB data last night ended when I compared a sub from SGL7 to one from my back garden, no substitute for dark skies :(

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I thought it was a great site compared to many others I have seen. Fab setting, great service from the staff, very neat and tidy.

I think we may just have to admit that perfection is not always possible..If you want that we might need to run a long elec cable up to the top of exmoor...

I for one vote to stay with Hereford.

Mark

Ive been to lots of campsites and i must say that the facilities are excellent,its a good thing that the owners are willing to work with us and try to meet most of our needs.The only negative for me was the telescope being hit by a football but these things happen.Overall it was a cracking weekend and i would be more than happy to go back next year.

Hi,

I did not mind moving my Outwell 4 person tent after 4 nights. It was dead easy, take everything out of the tent and then just remove the guide ropes, Kieran offered to help and the two us moved the tent around by pulling the footprint.

It literally took 10 minutes!!! (Thanks Kieran.....)

The reason the site owner Gary requested that we move after 4 nights was that he was hoping to have the grass looking good for the Easter break. Speaking to him, he told me that it was taking the grass 7 to 10 days to recover at this time of the year, if covered for 4/5 nights and a lot longer to recover if it went yellowy/brown.

To add to Daz's comments about the toilet block lights, the site owner is willing to put up red transparency film on the windows next year.

On the question of the red house, the current tenant is moving out this week. I thought she was very co-operative this year. Incidentally, Gary and his family are moving into the red house.... he owns it!!

Cheers

Adrian

Taffy_2

I challenged my boys on the football. They only had one of those lightweight ballon ones and I kept them on the field near the swings as much as I could. They do not recall any scopes being hit. You can be assured I will make extra sure they keep any games away from the scopes in future...

Mark

Hi,

I did not mind moving my Outwell 4 person tent after 4 nights. It was dead easy, take everything out of the tent and then just remove the guide ropes, Kieran offered to help and the two us moved the tent around by pulling the footprint.

It literally took 10 minutes!!! (Thanks Kieran.....)

The reason the site owner Gary requested that we move after 4 nights was that he was hoping to have the grass looking good for the Easter break. Speaking to him, he told me that it was taking the grass 7 to 10 days to recover at this time of the year, if covered for 4/5 nights and a lot longer to recover if it went yellowy/brown.

To add to Daz's comments about the toilet block lights, the site owner is willing to put up red transparency film on the windows next year.

On the question of the red house, the current tenant is moving out this week. I thought she was very co-operative this year. Incidentally, Gary and his family are moving into the red house.... he owns it!!

Cheers

Adrian

It took me the best part of an hour to empty my Outwell tent, 20-30 minutes to move it and re-peg it and then another hour to fill it up again. I had way too much stuff with me!

Have to say I was sorry so many missed the Sunday and Monday nights they were the best of the lot. It was like a ghost site with just a handfull enjoying the amazing views - next time book more time off.

Also on the tent moves issue maybe we could arrange a tent move squad - teams that go round and move tents with people, even if overall it takes the same time moving each tent in a few minutes wouldnt seem so bad.

I totally agree that Sunday and Monday were by far the best nights sky-wise. At least of the 5 nights I was there. The clarity was phenomenal, I will be writing an observation report at some point. Right now I'm still in desperate need of a great deal of sleep!

I loved the fact that lots of people from the camp site came round and showed an interest, particularly on the Friday and Saturday nights. I love introducing people to the wonders up there, it's a real buzz.

Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation of this year's event. Roll on next year, I'm looking forward to it already :(

I wonder if they could be persuaded to have the lights turned red in the toilets so it's easier to go without losing night vision (I got some odd looks holding various items of clothing over my face when I was in the Gents. :(

I wonder if they could be persuaded to have the lights turned red in the toilets so it's easier to go without losing night vision (I got some odd looks holding various items of clothing over my face when I was in the Gents. :(

Pirates eye patch! They are the answer :(

Ant

Thank you to all the organisers of SGL7. Also many thanks to all my great neighbours, including Kev, Pet and his wife, Mike, Nick, Hass & Paul. I got back on Monday and it has taken me this long to recover. I am glad I stayed for the Sunday night as the sky quality was the best for the 5 nights I was there. At 3.30 am on Monday morning a bank of fog rolled in for about 15 mins. Afterwards the sky was so clear and bright it was hard to pick out the constellations due to the background stars appearing so bright.

I would like to thank Daz and all of the organisers for all their hard work preparing and running SGL7, it was a great success.

I have been to a few star parties before but not an SGL event. Have to say that we were amazed at how friendly everyone is and that there is a real sense of community. We met some great people and learned a lot, I am simply amazed at the views through a solar scope that people were kind enough to let me look through.

When does booking open for next year?

I would like to thank Daz and all of the organisers for all their hard work preparing and running SGL7, it was a great success.

I have been to a few star parties before but not an SGL event. Have to say that we were amazed at how friendly everyone is and that there is a real sense of community. We met some great people and learned a lot, I am simply amazed at the views through a solar scope that people were kind enough to let me look through.

When does booking open for next year?

Probably not until the end of the year or the beginning of 2013.

Cheers

Ant

We will give people plenty of notice of when the booking goes live this time - it's likely to be September/October time to give us plenty of time.

The other difference this year - we will have a hard cut off point for booking to give us more time to organise name badges and welcome backs...

Well we have just arrived home. A big thank you to everyone involved in organising yet another successful and extremely enjoyable star party. With the weather so great, we stayed an extra 6 nights!

It was great to catch up with old friends and to meet lots more great people.

After SGL7, my second 'away' star party, I've decided to do a tour of other parties. So next spring I'll probably skip SGL8 and do Kielder instead.

Autumn is for now reserved for 'home' star party - PSP.

Perry on mobile (so blame strange words on text prediction!)

Many thanks to everyone involved in making SGL 7 happen, from organisation to great company!

This was my fourth SGL, and I've really enjoyed them all.

It was great to see some familiar faces again, to meet some people for the first time whose posts I've read on SGL, and to meet some people who've recently got into astronomy - your enthusiasm is infectious and well done on coming, I was a bit nervous when going to my first star party and I hope you enjoyed it just as much as I did my first and can't wait for the next one!

We stayed on the site for the week after SGL, and although we got lucky with the weather and managed to get some more viewing in (M51 was amazing!) it wasn't quite the same. Which just goes to show, it's the people there that make it special. ;)

And thank you for the looks through your scopes and eyepieces!!!

Best,

Luke

Thanks to everyone for a super getogether. Sun and Mon nights were the best for me, but like Luke its not the same without a group. Being near the loo was no problem because I was fully shielded from the light by a tall hedge.

Keith

Many thanks to everybody for making sure this was such a great event. It was my first star party and I had an absolutely amazing time. Everyone was so friendly and I learnt so much. I can't wait for next year's event.

Archived