Narrowband

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

I think there are a few things that may be discussed with the Site owners but all in all it wasnt too bad... perhpas we could get some screens for the Road and Toilet block next year...

The site owners have done a lot to improve the facilities on the Rally field ...

The Cafe means I can take less non essential kit next year and have more room for astro kit!!!

Peter...

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with a dual purpose site is that the other non astro users have every right to have their lights on whenever they like, they are paying to use the site just like we are. It would be polite if they could consider our needs but equally why should they struggle without lights?

I think my problem was being on the track end of the lane, whenever a car pulled in its lights shone straight up at me. Sometimes sitting there with, what seemed to be, main beam on for some time.

I had been told, through unofficial channels so I'm not sure of the accuracy, that anyone booking would have been told of the event and that they would need to be mindful of the astronomers.

It may be an idea for next year to do a little leaflet that can be given to everyone on the main campsite when they check in. I'm sure most people would avoid causing problems unecessarily if they were aware of the impact of their actions. On Saturday night there was a tent with huge LED light towers that were causing a real problem. I went over to explain the problem they were causing and ask them if they would mind pointing them in the other direction. They duly turned them off :-)

Helen

You know SGL star parties are bad for the wallet.. you come away wanting more gear lol :(

For me that's due to Kev's Borg Helical focuser, Rob's 10" RC. I think if there was a HPS2000 I would have blown a gasket!

A very good time was had

met people imaged and observed day and night

best night Sunday

a couple of suggestions

A few bits of cardboard in the toilet block windows would help esp the rear ones as they cast light on to the trees which then throw it upwards

also the outside light on the toilet block it would be good to shield it on the side facing us and the top

Steve

Home at last!

Spent an extra 2 nights as the weather was so good. Sunday and Monday nights were the darkest and most transparent I've ever seen.

Big thanks to the Admin & Mod team for organising yet another great SGL event, was great seeing old and new faces......& Nelson :(

I'll post what piccies I took (not many sorry ) when I can unpack the camera.

It may be an idea for next year to do a little leaflet that can be given to everyone on the main campsite when they check in. I'm sure most people would avoid causing problems unecessarily if they were aware of the impact of their actions. On Saturday night there was a tent with huge LED light towers that were causing a real problem. I went over to explain the problem they were causing and ask them if they would mind pointing them in the other direction. They duly turned them off :-)

Helen

My next door neighbours :-)

They were very pleasant and were a bit shocked the site was so busy.

Lights were one of the reasons I decamped the astro gear to the rally field

Just so you know....

We have already spoken to the site about the toilet lights and main road lights and they are happy to work with us. We'll iron out the exact details with them during the course of the year.

As Peter said, we have been searching for another site that is a) big enough :( has sufficient EHU's for us greedy leccy guzzlers c) has the facilities and d) relatively central-ish. It is a tall order!!

We could book the entire site - but that is a huge cash commitment and we would need to be sure we could sell every single pitch. This year's bill was over £5,000 and SGL does not have the funds to cover the costs if all the pitches are not sold.

That said, we will open up booking for SGL8 very soon (we'll announce the date and time so everyone can prepare for the mad dash!!) and this will give us plenty of time to warn the site of the numbers of people we are expecting. Who knows - we may actually book the entire site!!

At the moment, it's reasons NOT to go back, rather than reasons to return - especially given the site's commitment to work with us.

But please, suggestions and comments are very welcome, so keep 'em coming :(

I for one think Lucksall is a great venue for SGL parties. It caters for nearly all our needs and I'm sure the few negative issues can easily be sorted.

It would be very difficult to find another site with our criteria, and geographically. There isn't another star party event of note in the west.

The owners appear very obliging, and if they are prepared to work towards better events that can only be good.

My only issue was having to move the tent after 4 nights. I would have stay longer if it wasn't for that.

My only issue was having to move the tent after 4 nights. I would have stay longer if it wasn't for that.

+1 for that... I was going to stay 6 nights, but had to drop it to 4 for this very reason.

+1 for that... I was going to stay 6 nights, but had to drop it to 4 for this very reason.

+2 I will have to think very carefully about staying longer than 4 nights next year. It was a pita having to move the tent even with the generous help I received.

Im sure that if it were held the tail end of the season then it wouldnt be an issue , its just the site not wanting their grass damaged just as spring gets underway ready for the main camping season.

Imagine IF there had been a week of rain before and how muddy the field would of been

Forgot to mention, this was our 3rd party at Lucksall, and we thought it was also the best yet. The highlight for us was the number of first attendee's, fantastic. It was also of course great to meet up with old friends too. Made some amazing new friends, you know who you are.

Thank you to Steppenwolf (Stephen) for letting me see some mind blowing solar activity through his most amazing solar set up.

I would just like to say a massive thanks to all those involved in it's organisation, without whom it would not even take place. Hog roast was the best I have ever had, and the kind lady serving even offered our dog all the scraps, (turned out too nice to give the dog, all that lovely crackling, ahem, oops, I mean he couldn't eat it all :(:D:rolleyes:).

Anyway, once again many thanks to all for making it an amazing experience.

I stayed 5 nights and I wasn't aware of the tent moving requirement, just to say the grass didn't look any different from other pitches that had been vacated 2 days earlier.

Maybe an overkill requirement on the sites owners part IMHO, Im guessing also they wouldn't turn people away because the grass had been covered previously.

On moving the tent issue, I think RobH had this sussed, for the first few nights he didn't use a ground sheet, therefore no tent moving issue

Having a tent with a built in ground sheet wouldn't help with that :( It just means I have 3 more nights in my own bed rather than 7 under canvas.

Archived