SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

Does Helen still have some that red acetate? Ive not been able to find any where I am, so it would be great if some was still available. I will be arriving tomorrow about 3ish (if we dont get lost on the way!) :)

I've got a whole roll of red acetate I'm bringing with me.

Come and see me tomorrow morning if you haven't got any by then.

And that's open to anyone else who needs some too.

I'm leaving from work at about 3 this afternoon, so traffic permitting (ahem!!) I SHOULD be there before 6 tonight. Here's hoping.

See you all there.

Looking forward to that brekkie tomorrow.

Dave

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Dave! I will pop over later if ive not managed to grab anything today. Ive been trying to work out the route - go with the satnav which will take us all over the shop, or use a good old map which will get us there in just 4 roads (M5, M50 + a couple of B roads).

I'll be the tall bloke wearing the daft hat and far too much clothing :)

Cheers Dave! I will pop over later if ive not managed to grab anything today. Ive been trying to work out the route - go with the satnav which will take us all over the shop, or use a good old map which will get us there in just 4 roads (M5, M50 + a couple of B roads).

I'll be the tall bloke wearing the daft hat and far too much clothing :)

I'll be the daft bloke in the tall hat and not too much clothing! :)

T minus 3 hours to blast off, 99% packed - it will be a bit of a squeeze in the car but I think we can manage it. A slight delay means I probably wont arrive till 4ish but I think a couple of hours is enough to get everything set up before it gets too dark.

Well stoked now, cant wait! :)

I After watching someone else's scope get collated I've now realised how far out mine is.

:)

Anyone fancy helping me please?

I'm able to bribe with becks, tea, or welsh cakes from tomorrow's batch.

T

Me too! Too late for collimation in the dark, but if someone can star test my scope and show me how bad or good my collimation, maybe tomorrow in the light...

I'm in Buzzard 33 by the way.

Well, the drive up was without incident and fairly quick. Got here and the Sun was shining low down through thin cloud. It was a bit murky last night, but met uo with a few folks and Mars and Saturn looked stunning. Finally got to bed after midnight. Woke up this morning to mist. Boy those ducks and woodpeckers are noisy! Good job I'm up.

Dave

What a wonderful weekend. Drive there was slow but straight forward, arriving just after 1:00pm Friday. Being next to the water / fire point I effectively had just one neighbor, Jon who was chatting to Tony (freff) who kindly offered to make me a cuppa, which was most welcome. The afternoon was spent setting up the tent and scope, chatting, putting names to faces that I had forgotten since last year (it must be an age thing now I've turned 50 :blob10: ) and keeping an eye on the sky.

Friday night was a bit iffy, and some members turned in early whilst others plodded on and managed to get some decent seeing on Mars as things improved (allegedly) later on. I was simply testing out the concept of using my SW 8 x 50 as a finder guider with a SPC900 as the guide camera. Between the constant netbook crashes, intermittent comms disconnections between software and the mount and waiting ages for PHD to try and calibrate I then gave up and used the Mak 127 visually. I turned in fairly early, with a view of sorting these things out the next day.

Saturday morning was spent walking round looking at all the nice gear people had. Over the weekend there was a lot of buzz regarding how active the sun was, and Kev invited me to view the prominences through his scope - I was blown away by the detail. Soon it was the time for the bring and buy sale, bottom line was I managed to acquire an MS webcam 720 HD completely modified and with a decent IR fllter on a try before buy agreement - so last night, under better skies I spend several hours fuffing about with the netbook again trying to capture some video with the MS camera. I had a few issues with Sharpcap, the same comms issue, but managed to get around half a dozen captures. I'm impressed with this camera, the results of my first crude stack has been attached. Needless to say I met up with the seller on Sunday morning and promptly parted with some cash !

So there we have it, my second SGL starparty. Really enjoyed myself, and would like to thank Daz, Helen, Steve and the rest of the admin team for all their hard work. All being well I hope to make it three in a row, attending SGL8 :o

post-23388-133877752676_thumb.png

Still here, relaxing with a cuppa :blob10:

I've posted this in the imaging section but as not everyone frequents that area I'll pop this image up here as well.

I'm quitting whilst ahead on this one now and looking for another (shorter time) target tonight.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture16442-m101sgl7wip2.jpg

well what to say about the weekend it was brill met some new mates (taffy2/tich/big dave, mr fibbles and psycobilly ,, font of knowledge,,.thanks guys .saw some amazing scopes , and amazing pics ,, to all the organizers,, THANK YOU. roll on next year.

Still here with the die-hards :o Its been a brilliant weekend - met some really nice people and got to look through some pretty big scopes. Thanks to the SGL team for putting this show on... and yes, the hogroast was fantastic - food of the gods :p

Managed to get something done too (despite the dew/guiding/drunkeness) :blob10:

More pics to follow......

attachment.php?attachmentid=83341&stc=1&d=1332693936

post-18171-133877752753_thumb.jpg

Archived