SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL 7 CHAT THREAD

Kai

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks,

I don't want 4 clear nights, 7 would be a lot better. Isn't that why it is called SGL 7?

Given clear nights we need to make sure that the Red House switches off its flood lights.

Sleeping outside without a tent may be a tad exciting. If you cannot fit the tent in the car, at least pack plenty of Jaffa Cakes as they go down a treat.

Last year, we got some great views of Saturn around midnight and the more malt whiskey we drank the more rings we saw!!!

I am really looking forward meeting up with the old hands from SGL 6.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Folks,

Given clear nights we need to make sure that the Red House switches off its flood lights.

Adrian

Adrian when I went with Daz about 10 days ago I mentioned the house with the lights. The Lucksall site owner rents out that house and stated that they will make sure that we don't have a problem.

In addition they will ask the Green Man pub in Fownhope to switch off the floodlight over the main observing days - unfortunately I doubt it will be 7 days.

Finally, I am going to approach the Principal of Holme Lacy College to turn off their floodlights as well.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that encouraging information. As I had spoken to Garry at length on the Tuesday morning last year, he was very interested to find out how the event had gone. When I told him about the house, he was sorry that nobody had told him about the problems it was causing. He said then that it would not be a problem this year. Glad you reminded him !!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to arrive around lunchtime on the Monday. So if you have time, you are welcome to a coffee and a Jaffa Cake.

Once again a big thanks for the efforts you, Daz and crew are putting to make SGL 7 a great success.

Cheers

Adrian

dose anyone need a bed for sgl 7, im taking my large carvan down and as its a school week the boss will not be able to make it, i will probleybring one of my sons, but it sleeps 7, so if you are stuck, drop me a line

Anyone going to SGL7 with a moded Canon 550d?

I am thinking of buying one, but first I would like to compare two exposures of the same target (at 800 and 1600 ISO) with my moded 450d on the same scope.

I have been told of many good things about the 550d for astro-imaging, just want to see for myself if you can actually see the difference in the pictures they produce.

Right. This is getting a bit weird.

I have started dreaming about SGL7.

One dream was about forgetting the air bed and driving back up the M5 to fetch it on an unreliable quad bike (on which the accelerator kept jamming at full throttle :icon_scratch:).

The other dream was about playing boules and accidentally throwing one down someone's Dobsonian, then running away and hiding in the toilets.

These sound like classic anxiety dreams, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Is there a list we can view with the user names of all those members attending SGL7?

Last year there was a spread sheet we could download.

In due course I'm sure this will be put in place. We also had a thread where we could post pics of ourselves to aid identification "in the field" :icon_scratch:

I have a set of Boules I can bring but you're not using my Dob for target practice. Does anyone know the actual rules for Boules? We just chuck them at the jack and whoever gets closest is the winner. I am sure it more complicated than that really and I expect wine helps tremendously.

Its a very popular game in the south of france, where I believe the bikini is de rigeur evcept of course for the women players who are much more modestly dressed. it is a game of skill but I believe throwing a ball in someboby's Dob is considered very bad form. a friend of mine was hit in the dob with a boule. After he recovered from the shock he was shot in the oregon regions whilst holidaying in the USA it was a very unlucky year for him. to quote him "Having a boule in my Dob was worse than being shot in the Oregon regions" only an astronomer would say that.

Hi Lulu,

I have a set of rules for Boules..................

In France, they play on a sandy area on village squares.

I plan to put a grid-iron over my dob. I just hate strays boules........

If you are interested there is a boules song on YouTube.... maybe you could give us a verse or two in good voice.

Anyway, looking forward to SGL 7.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived