Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

xbox live webcam

I've just brought a xbox live webcam for £5 as the price and rarity of the Phillips SPC880/900 has gone crazy! Plus its not too bad if i wreck it.

Can i use any 1.25" adaptor for it to fit my scope? And do i need any filters etc??

Regards

Radders

2 things you need to do.

first, disassemble the webcam so you can remove the lens - once removed you wont be able to see anything clearly when trying to use it as a normal webcam, but it will be able to focus when you put it in the telescope.

second, fashion a short 1.25" tube to tape to the webcam, thus allowing you to insert it into your focusser. About 1 - 1.5 inches should be fine.

remember tho that this webcam most likely has a cmos chip, not a ccd like the spc900, thus the image might not be as good

thirdly make sure you can use the webcam and adjust its settings on your laptop - as its for xbox live i dont know how compatible it will be, but i guess you should be able to get a work around somehow.

clear skies,

tom

I might be completely wrong but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the xbox live camera has a ccd sensor. I'd be very suprisedn if it did considering the cost of the webcam to buy. I've found a website where somebody has modified one to fit a scope and explains how to remove the IR lense to make it more sensive to low light levels.

FLO do an adaptor for the SPC900NC which should fit. Will give it a shot. At £5 a go its not to bad if i mess it up!

Radders

Archived