Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hyperion Zoom Issue ???

Kai

Has anybody had experiance of the Mk 3 Zoom stiffening up when used in sub zero temperatures ?

I was out the other night for about 3 hours and by the end of the session i was not able to "zoom" out it was seized in the 8mm position.

After being inside for a day it has now loosened up and now works as it should after a few full range zooms.

Anybody else ?

Cheers

Kai :)

kai.

i have just orderd a hyp zoom , a friend of mine in germany has one of these ep`s , he has had a similar problem and on speaking to supplier/manufacturer in germany ,he was told the problem was caused by the kind of grease used in the factory . it does not have a low temp rating .

these ep`s were not solely designed for astronomy , they are also used in microscopes and cameras , and the grease used to lube them ,while smooth and slick at room temps ,goes gooey below freezing . my friend in germany stipped down the twist ring part and cleaned it and reapplied a lithium based grease ,,hope this is of some use :)

I'll try Lithium grease on my Skywatcher 8-24mm as its very noisy when using the zoon. I use Lithium grease in some of my mountain bike bearings so i have loads lying round, i just have to remember its optics not bearings when applying so less is more ; )

Archived