SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

£1000 to complement my imaging set up - Which scope?

I am looking at selling a camera lens so am looking at having a total of £1000 for a new scope. I am looking at something like an ED80size , although smaller would be fine. I will be using it with my Atik 314L and Trutek superslim filterwheel. It absolutely must have a good focuser.

I am looking at the Orion ED80T carbon fibre and the TRF-2008 at the moment. It will be on a dual bar with my ED120.

So what else should I look at? Would really welcome your thoughts on this. The £1000 needs to include the reducer and all other bits required to get it going.

Sara,

You know my thoughts on the Orion :)

I have seen issues with quality control from people who have bought TS refractors (not just the doomed quad) so I'm not sure I'd choose one of those, although Bern at MA is a very reputable dealer.

I am looking at the Orion ED80T carbon fibre and the TRF-2008 at the moment. It will be on a dual bar with my ED120.

in case it helps you decide, there is a TRF-2008 on astro buy/sell at the moment. Don't see them up for sale that often. Useful for the Equinox 80 as well as the Orion ED80T.

The APM ad doesn't say it's a Feathertouch (does it?), just a rack and pinion. Still, that is very good news. What's the flattener situation with that one? I doubt you'd need it with your 285 chip but who knows...

That's the one that catches my eye. I think you've had more than enough of naff focusers.

TS are off my telescope buying list till they make amends for the Quad and a number of other bad stories on the supplier review thread recently. They are a good shop in many ways and I'll buy anything but telescopes from them still.

Olly

PS My 'telescope buying list' is a hypothetical entity since my lifetime quota has already been exceeded!

Following on from the TS quad scope, I feel a little reticent. I have had some emails pass between Bern and I, and if I do go down that road, there will be a few more!!

On some sites (Widescreen I think) it does say that the APM has a feather touch. They seen to be in short supply though, as one UK supplier said that they couldn't source one, so would have to be direct from TS.

Archived