Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 Might be able to detect a green hue?

Kedvenc

I'm a relative nooby with all this. According to Turn left at Orion is says 'Under perfect conditions you might just be able to detect a slightly green hue in the nebula...'

I found this an odd statement as when I view the nebula (through a 4 inch reflector and much more so in my 8inch reflector) it is a definite, unmistakable glowing bright green nebula. I see this in all sorts of sky conditions.

It also says that the nebulosity in m45 is difficult to see which I also find fairly easy to pick out. (and I've checked it's not due to dew, so to speak).

How many people see this that easily? I assumed this was the norm but maybe not.

I do have dark skies (very rural) and will get the 4 inch collimated and look through that again (haven't used it for years) just to make sure I was seeing the colour. I got my new scope only a few weeks ago and one of the first things I looked at was M42; it blew my socks off it was so bright and green. Like I say I pretty much thought this was normal, so if not, I feel very lucky.

What do you see when looking is it grey?

From my suburban area its a blue/gray area - cannot see a lot unless I get a very clear night and allow my eyes to adjust for a good 30 mins - would love to see some green in there. With M45 I see zero nebulosity, just the stars..

Colour me jealous!

There's an interesting article in the Feb. issue of Astronomy about the nebulosity of M45. During the 19th century, scientists had a bit of an argument about whether there was any nebulosity or not. Sometimes it can be seen with a small telescope under bad conditions while it may disappear when viewing conditions improve.

Archived