Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

the milster

First Glimpes Of Andromeda!

Got my new bins yesterday, Olympus 10x50s, clear skies tonight. :)

Anyway, first target was the moon, obviously not as much detail as my scope but still pretty impressed. Next target was the old favourite m42, very impressed with the performance of the bins on that, picked it out very easy and even saw plenty of 'nebulae cloud'. I thought while I'm on a roll why not try for Andromeda, something that's always eluded me through me scope. With the help of my laser pointer I managed to do a bit of star hopping and managed to pick out a dull grey smudge. I found it 3/4 times again after and although it was fairly dull I'm pretty sure it was Andromeda. As I move away from it, it seemed to be more obvious in my perhiperal vision.

Once I found Andromeda I pretty much got the hang of how to find it :)

Only a smudge with my binos but still pretty impressive!

I have found it easy if I use the "w" of Cassiopeia. Take the bottom "v" of the "w" and use as a pointer. Three <<< to the left and Andromeda galaxy should be in your binos.

If it's clear you can spot it by eye. Tough target here as Andromeda is setting early evening.There's plenty good objects to see with 10x50s, well done.

It took me a few attempts to find it, but once you find it, you can go straight to it again and again!

Averted vision does help 'see' it better though.

Edited by Rebus

Yeah, that's it, averted vision. It took me by surprise a bit keep catching it in the corner of my eye.

Haven't been able to get out since with my scope to see if I can find it in that now I know where it is.