Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sheffield Star gazing

yorks

Hi all

I am a beginner but have been lurking on this forum for a while now. Not taken the plunge and bought a scope yet.

Would be interested to hear from any others in North / West Sheffield for hints / tips or perhaps some practical guidance.

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert,

I'm a beginner too, probably always will be.

I've also not bought a scope yet. In fact after a year of thinking about it and trying out some scopes some of the Sheffield Astro nights and much umm and arhhing, I decided I actually prefer binoculars at the moment and I've just bought my third pair, though not used 'em yet.

Anyway I'd definitely recommend the Sheffield Astro nights. I still haven't found any super great places to view from though the peak district is certainly better than Sheffield. However I'm now starting to conclude that this area is not particularly great for getting away from light pollution. In fact that probably goes for much of England and one day I hope to get across to Wales to witness some proper dark skies.

Do you have any equipment yet? A general recommendation is that smaller binoculars are often a good first choice anyway.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I am hoping to go to the astro night on the 18th Feb. Not bought a thing yet. Only have a pair of binoculars at the moment

I have been told Redmires is not a bad place to view but its a bit spooky up their on your own :D

hello yorks and welcome to s.y.s.g

yes as syntarsus says you can't go wrong with binoculars I love mine

and to be honest prefer them to a scope,

I like to scan the skies,star hopping.

what part of sheffield are you in?

if anywhere nr sheff5 you are more than welcome to come to ours one clear night

and sit with us in our back garden stargazing

its not bad when the skies are dark

chez/malc

Hi all

I'm a newbie based in S6. Love the stars, but only has some basic binoculars until yesterday. Now got a telescope (delivered yesterday). Very light polluted where I live (and I have no garden), but still getting some good views of Jupiter (hoping I'll thaw out soon... ), so very happy with my purchase. Mrs Marki was particularly delighted with being able to see the nebula in Orion.

Hoping to get over to the astro meeting in Feb (and maybe someone can show me how to properly align my 'scope). Also looking for any safe darkish spots in the area for some quality gazing fun.

Greetings all!

Marki

Hi guys, I am a newbie too based in S3, I don't have a telescope yet, still weighting my options:), I joined the SAS club and had my first views of Jupiter, Mars and the Andromeda galaxy. The Astro club has a nice friendly atmosphere pretty much like this great forum :D

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Hi all

Thanks Chez/Malc - may well take you up on that offer! Hoping to pursuade Mrs Marki to accompany me to the astro meet on the 18th, so may meet some of you there :-).

Like Chez, Mrs Marki seems to prefer bins for her observing - any recommendations for upgrading from a cheap 10x42 pair? Otherwise our domestic harmony is going to take a hit on telescope-hogging time :D.

Clear skies all (and any advice on avoiding frostbite welcomed!)

Cheers

Marki

Hi Everyone, another fairly new member to watching the sky at night in Sheffield, do have a telescope (Sky Watcher 150p) that we are getting to grips with. All ways interested in meeting up for a bit of group star watching. And yes, its blumming cold out there!

Cheers

Andrew

Archived