Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iPhone afocal adapter

I managed this last week with my 4S. Converted to black and white in Photoshop just to get rid of a blue fringe around the moon. I was really impressed with the result! It's only a phone! LOL

post-35401-133877771949_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My handheld efforts with iPhone 4 up to SW130M e/p from the last time I saw the moon.

56054337-ba30-b963.jpg

I also managed a tiny Saturn, again handheld afocal.

56054337-ba64-0e7e.jpg

Would like a holder but that Orion one is way too expensive. Gotta be careful with phone accessories. Phones move to fast to keep longer than 3 years and form factors change so it' the sort of kit that would end up in that spares box.

post-35088-133877772354_thumb.jpg

Here's my effort. The iPhone was just held up to the EP of a Skymax 127. I'd be quite interested in getting a device that holds the phone steady in place.

I managed to test the homemade iPhone adapter tonight during a 20 second window where the sky wasn't obscured by clouds! Here's my first attempt at Mars using the iPhone...post-34162-133877772393_thumb.jpg

The adapter is pretty stable and I didn't notice much movement when tapping the screen to snap the image. I'm pretty pleased with how it performs and it's a damn sight cheaper than the £50 one I was looking at. There is a dual app for the iPhone/iPad called CameraA Camera B which allows you to use the phone as a remote Bluetooth camera which you can control with the iPad. When I have more time and clearer skies I'll try that.

Stew, there is a free app called 'slow shutter' or something similar. You can vary the exposure time (software, not hardware) and set a delay on the photo being taken after the shutter being depressed. It's worth downloading and having a look at I think.

Just been out with the scope again and tried taking a few more pics afocally with the iPhone. Pretty impressed with the picture of Jupiter, can even see 4 moons.

If I recorded a video on the iPhone would registax be able to import it or would I need to convert it?

Those are amazing shots man...love your skills. Will try that with my phone tonight if clouds permit.

They look really good bearing in mind it was with a iphone ...

What mega pixel is your camera ?

I'm gonna try saturn and mars tonight and tomorrow ..

Every time I try to get spica it doubles in the picture :S

Thanks. I believe that the iphone 3GS camera is 3.2megapixels. I have the 'Slow shutter' app which is very good, but the clouds were that quick last night, by the time the shutter opened, the subject was covered again. That's why I thought CameraA/CameraB would work better as you are snapping what you are looking at immediately.

Those are amazing shots man...love your skills. Will try that with my phone tonight if clouds permit.

Saturn is quite hard though

A bit fiddly but not bad when you get it though (see attached pic)

The app I use is Camera+ with the stabiliser feature. When you press the shutter it then waits until the image is still before talking a picture.

post-32637-133877772655_thumb.jpg

I've had students do the "hand held" photo thing with cell phones and small digital cameras for years - with practice, you can do some amazing things with the brighter targets like Luna, Jupiter and even Venus.

As for the Orion product, I have used the steady pix adapter for regular cameras and found them to be very useful. Never put anything bigger than a Canon A-series or Fuji finepix camera on it (they show it mounted to a Canon Rebel in the catalog - but I'd never risk my big DSLR that way!)

Orion is also quite cheerful about taking things back if you aren't satisfied - I've had good results with ordering from them for years.

Dan

Worth getting the Orion iPhone steadypix adaptor £50 well spent for me. Easy to use and set up here is some pictures I've managed to take with it

How did you manage to get so much detail with Jupiter? Everytime I tried Jupiter with the iPhone I couldn't get any of the banding to come out.

Archived