SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

iPhone afocal adapter

Hi, bought a 200P Dob last week and had a chance to try it over the weekend. Thought I would try taking a photo of the moon afocally using the iPhone just to see what would happen, and was quite impressed with the result.

It was hard to keep the iPhone exactly in the right place so wondered if there was an adapter that would help. The only one I was able to find was the Orion Steadypix.

Orion SteadyPix Telescope Afocal Adapter for iPhone - SCS Astro

Just wondering if there are any other alternatives?

post-32637-133877725605_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's impressive!

The holder dowacky thing looks a bit on the expensive side to me though, I would have to wonder if there was a hard case for the iPhone that could be modified or maybe an in car holder? Certainly got me thinking now.

Yeah not a bad picture considering. That was my thoughts on the steadypix. £50 seems a bit much for what it is.

The only other one I've found is the astroclip:

AstroClip: A Universal Telescope Mount for iPhone 4 by Matthew Geyster — Kickstarter

but it was never made :D

Shame that, because that would have been absolutely peachy on the polarscope for use with the iPhone app Polarfinder. :(

Russell

Just been out with the scope again and tried taking a few more pics afocally with the iPhone. Pretty impressed with the picture of Jupiter, can even see 4 moons.

If I recorded a video on the iPhone would registax be able to import it or would I need to convert it?

post-32637-133877726863_thumb.jpg

post-32637-13387772687_thumb.jpg

That's a great shot of the moon, and you did amazingly well to hold it steady enough for Jupiter!

I've tried in vain to get a good shot of the moon, trying to position the camera lens to the eyepiece whilst holding on to the goto controller has proven a bit too hard :)

Will do mate, today has been filled with geekery but I'll endeavour to get out in the garage tomorrow :clouds1:

Took a few shots of the moon last night inspired by your efforts - nowhere near as good but not bad for a misty night and through the double glazing of the conservatory :D

6814882675_df1ab30576_z.jpg

Moon by lmorgan69a, on Flickr

• 3 months later...

I've been scratching my head over this for ages and have been toying with the idea of the Orion Steadypix but just can't bring myself to fork out £50 for something that may not work. I have an iPhone 3GS and have had a bit of success just holding the phone over the EP of my Skywatcher 250P as you can see from this photo. As I'm sure anyone who has tried it will tell you, it is very hit and miss and for every 1 decent shot, you will end up with 10 blurred shots.

post-34162-133877771884_thumb.jpg

I have just finished bodging together a homemade iPhone adapter which I have made from an old phone case, a 35mm film cartridge, a sacrificial 0.75mm eyepiece and lots of hot glue! Here are the pictures, I am hoping to be able to test it tonight and will report back (whether successful or not)

post-34162-133877771902_thumb.jpg

post-34162-133877771894_thumb.jpg

post-34162-133877771899_thumb.jpg

Archived