SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar Eclipse in Cairns

Finch

Hi All,

I'm lucky enough to have booked myself and the missus on a trip to Australia this year for the Eclipse and then a general backpacking tour of Darwin, Alice Springs and Sydney. :D

Anyone else going? Anybody taking any kit?

You say you have booked a trip for the eclipse, does that mean you have already got or booked accomodation?

Someone last August/September spent quite some time trying to get accomodation for the ecplise and they just managed it after very many phone calls.

I was thinking about a future eclipse chase, early last year but I dropped the idea of 2012 in Oz early on - just couldn't fit it in and heard Cairns was already booked-out anyway. But if you've got a place - good luck to you.

I'm thinking more of Indonesia 2016. It would be the trip of a lifetime for us (and a considerable expense!): we'll both be in our late sixties, so not too adventurous and we'd want an organised trip. But I can't find any site that's taking bookings - not yet. Ah well: it's early days - but we ought not to delay too much longer. Anyone got any tips on 2016?

Count me in, just managed to book accomodation in Port Douglas. Hotels are making a killing that week. over twice the price of the previous week!

What kit to take along, good question, probably a long lens and tripod for the dslr is the most I'll be taking...

Huw

I live about 4 hrs south of Cairns, and a few of us in our Townsville Club are heading to Mt Carbine Caravan Park, up in the hills behind Cairns.

Untitled Document

Cairns, and places north and south are well booked, though prob a little left, but not sure about up on The Tablelands behind it.

Warning .... it is the Wet Season!! :)

Nice little place Palm Cove, stayed there last time I was out there.

Well placed for Cairns and Port Douglas.

If I recall correct the first trip out there I hired a small 4x4 from Palm Cove Car Hire.

Take the cable car to Karanda, visit Emerald Falls.

• 3 weeks later...

Hotels and flights are beginning to get tight for Cairns and environs during the eclipse period (Nov. 11-16ish). However, some of the tours still have space available. For example, Public Radio Guam are sponsoring a tour that still has rooms and space available for those wishing to see the eclipse at the Cairns Wildlife Dome. Some of the pricier tours still have space too. Airlines are starting to jack up fares--up to 3 times the customary fare on certain routings--so book your air as early as possible. Thanks and clear skies.

Archived