Nexstar 8se or skywatcher 250px auto goto?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on your priorities I guess. Both very good scopes but with different strengths and weaknesses. The 8SE will work better with low cost eyepieces but won't be able to show particularly wide fields of view. The 250PX gathers more light so DSO's will look better but needs a bit more collimation attention and is a fast scope so low cost wide field eyepieces will show some distorted stars in the outer edges of the field of view.

Hmm yeah, I really don't know which one to go for, I know that the 8se 'is cheaper to run' but the dso's could be inspiring me for the dob. And does anyone know what the goto systems are like, by the way I'm not a newbie just indecisive when comes to upgrades lol

I sometimes have a look at (OK drool over) big Dobsonian, but I don't think I will ever sell the C8 I have. The portability is just great. I also wonder what you are upgrading from. The size of the scope you have now very much determines the wow factor of the new scopes larger aperture.

I have a custom built 6" dob, I use to have a 8" dob but sold it for space and money, to my regret. I know dew is a bit of a problem with a sct but i will buy a dew shield for it, I have always owned dobs and newts, how often do sct's need collimating (roughly?) I need someone to convince me !lol, the next scope I want it to be portable good enough to see dso's and within 1200 quid. This will also be my last and main scope for at least 5 years, it also needs to be a goto... I have always had a manual, so this time I would like a goto.

I have a custom built 6" dob, I use to have a 8" dob but sold it for space and money, to it to my regret. I know dew is a bit of a problem with a sct, I have always owned dobs and newts, how often do sct's need collimating? I need someone to convince me, the next scope I want it to be portable good enough to see scopes within 1200 quid. This will also be last and main scope for at least 5 years.

I went from a 6" F/8 Newtonian to my current C8 (more than 15 years ago, so it must be doing something right for me), and the step up is quite noticeable. I have taken it to many places (including the solar eclipse in 1999, traveling in a little Peugeot 106, with tent and missus). I set my EQ mounted C8 up in less than 10 minutes (5 usually), unless I need accurate polar alignment. That takes 4-5 minutes more at most. The combination of compact size and quite large aperture is very appealing to me.

In most cases I use a simple dew shield to combat dew. Only on very humid nights do I need a dew strip (only recently got one, used in fewer than 1 night out of ten). Collimation? Very rarely needed. I check frequently, but years may go by before I find anything out of collimation. Mine is not Go-to. I just have a big finder scope, and 33 years of star-hopping experience :D.

I think the Celestron 8SE is just about the most compact and portable 8" aperture scope you can get. The whole scope and mount seems to weigh in at around 15kg / 33 lbs from the specs that I can see. Obviously you can buy larger aperture scopes for £1,200 but they will be heavier and less compact, in some cases significantly so.

SCT's do need collimation from time to time but tend to hold it pretty well once it's done. You will need dew prevention equipment, either a dew shield or heated dew tape so budget for that.

SCT's also seem to last - there are 30 year old Celestron C8's still giving good service.

Sounds good, thanks for your advice, been looking at some meade LX90's to. Yeah C8's look good, iv been Star hopping for about 8 years and although I do enjoy it and will still keep my 6" dob I have become aware that I cant compete with the knowledge of a computer when it comes to finding some dso's. Especially the fainter ones. I just want to know really if the difference with a 2" WA on a 10" dob will be a massive improvement on a sct 8" at 1.25", say a 25mm. I know the answer to this really but is it worth the trade off for portability?

Im going round the twist! lol

I added a 2" visual back to my C8, and with my 40mm Paragon and 31mm Nagler I get 1.34 and 1.25 deg true FOV, without noticeable vignetting. Not in the league of a dob, but for real wide field I stick the the 31mm in my 80mm F/6 (5.3 deg true FOV), or even the 40mm (5.7 deg FOV but exit pupil a bit large)

It's always said that the best scope is the one that you use. Ive never met a bloke who in their heart of hearts would say no to a couple more inches. likewise I have never met anybody who is disappointed with 8" yes a 10 or 12 inch is great but they are big beasts and there is a lot to be said for portability. the se is a lovely visual system and if you offered me a 12inch or 8se I would take the 8se its such a lovely package to use for visual work

It's always said that the best scope is the one that you use. Ive never met a bloke who in their heart of hearts would say no to a couple more inches. likewise I have never met anybody who is disappointed with 8" yes a 10 or 12 inch is great but they are big beasts and there is a lot to be said for portability. the se is a lovely visual system and if you offered me a 12inch or 8se I would take the 8se its such a lovely package to use for visual work

Very well put. 10 or 12" is GREAT...................if you can handle it. If not its pretty useless.

So the solution is a happy medium between aperture and portability. That's where the 8se comes into its own.

I'd went with the 6SE for portability about 3 years ago. A good scope and the best compromise for me at the time.

Then I bought a 250PX in December (for more aperture). I like the dobo but when I looked at the size of it I decided to keep the 6SE.

My advice? Buy an SCT and a dobo (evil grin!).

(Oh and a decent binocular while you're at it).

Seriously though, take your time, weigh up the various factors and choose carefully....No rush, the sky will still be there next week or next month....

I have the 250px Dob and I love it. I have put some wheels on the base and can move it around easily. If I am transporting it, I can roll to near the car so lifting is minimised.

It can take 2" eyepieces which I don't think the 8SE can, I may be wrong there. I find the goto mostly accurate and I don't tend to worry too much about levelling. I also like the fact that with a Dob you view from the side and not the bottom. I sit at an ironing chair and can view comfortably for ages.

Simon

But it won't be the OP,s only scope .

If you had to haul a 12" scope out every time you observed, then yes the novelty could wear off.

But if you're able to have more than one scope. Why not Have a big un?

I don't use my 16" every time I observe. I use it when I choose, when conditions are favourable. Using a small 10" Dob at other times.

Many observers on this forum use more than one scope nothing wrong with that.

I personally cannot see much point in having an 8" SCT and a 6" Dob.

When you could have a 6" grab n go and a 12" for decent dark nights.

Regards Steve

But it won't be the OP,s only scope .

If you had to haul a 12" scope out every time you observed, then yes the novelty could wear off.

But if you're able to have more than one scope. Why not Have a big un?

I don't use my 16" every time I observe. I use it when I choose, when conditions are favourable. Using a small 10" Dob at other times.

Many observers on this forum use more than one scope nothing wrong with that.

I personally cannot see much point in having an 8" SCT and a 6" Dob.

When you could have a 6" grab n go and a 12" for decent dark nights.

Regards Steve

good point i had missed the bit about the 6" dob, sorry was distracted by dinner.

Ha, yeah... I'm leaning towards the 8" sct and the custom 6" dob has a unbelievable heavy base. So it's not portable. Iv taken my time, this is a decision iv been trying to make for at least the last two months. Iv owned lots of scopes, my fav was the 8inch man lightbridge, but I had to sell it due to moving house and finances but now iv saved some bucks. It's either going to be a 10" auto goto dob or 8" sct. I love the look of the Nexstars to!

Trickystar1 I'm so glad you posted this.....I have also been looking at these two scopes recently as i want to upgrade from my 4se. i want something thats easy to setup and good for imaging planets... I'm drawn too the dob for the size for cash but the 8se for the simplicity of setup and the little extra height of the tripod. The one thing i love about the 4se is its really easy too set up for visual or imaging which i think is important when its cold outside, but the dob has shown its a good imaging scope for the money as "spacecowboy's" post have shown, collimation does worry me a bit though, never had to bother with the little Mak... also the money saved with the dob could go towards a DFK21;)

I don't do the imaging side because i'm bad enough on the pockets with just being a visual astro jocky. :D collimating is easy once you done it a few times iv done it the chesire way but pref the laser collimating. So don't worry to much.

Archived