First post from me!

Phil Hammond

Hi everyone, just joined up yesterday but this is first chance I've had to post.

Very new to Astronomy but super keen to learn! I'm taking on this hobby as a bit of a sideline to my main interest in life - photography.

Always looked up as long as I can remember but now thanks to an enthusiastic colleague at work I'm now at the point where I want to buy my first scope.

Which leads me to go straight in head first with the questions! :D

I have a Canon 5dmkII and would like to be able to directly connect this to a scope eventually once I've learnt my way around the stars a little. I am currently debating between the Skywatcher 130P on an EQ2 or the Skywatcher 150PDS on an EQ3-2.

I know with mounts the sturdier the better, but am I right in thinking I'd be better off with a scope with tracking abilities for the long exposures?

Trouble is I want to run before I can walk but I know as soon as I start seeing through the scope I'm going to want to photograph everything I see - it's in my blood!

I know that webcam imaging is also a good way of photographing moon and planets etc so would be up for trying this also.

Could anyone reccomend a good scope for dslr use and if either of the above 2 would be any good? Sorry to dive straight in, I'm itching to buy one but want to be well informed first!

Thanks in advance,

Phil :(

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi welcome to the forum. The 150p on an EQ5 would be a nice option. I have a 200p on a EQ5 read my blog lots of advice tips and tutorials on there to help you along. If your going down the astrophotography route the mount is all important so choose a good one. :D

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome.

Its always best to buy the best you can for your money (and we are all from different walks of life) It can quickly become an expensive game if you let it (even if you don't) so try to buy once, if you think you need a stronger mount, buy it, its cheaper in the long run. You have come to the right place for advise, thats for sure. Try to be clear in your mind which route you want to go down if you are starting off with a single scope, is it imaging, solar system targets or DSO you are after. Take your time and ask lots and lots of questions, you'll get lots of different answers sometimes but then thats what forums are for.

Thanks for all the welcomes and tips, this seems like a very friendly forum!

I will read through a few posts as suggested and see what advice has been offered on the same subject for others.

Looking forward to learning more about this awesome subject!

Cheers everyone

Archived