Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

kingboya

My first moon shot!

Hi All.

This is my first ever picture of a celestial object.

I used a T-ring attached to my new Skyliner 200P Dob, and this is what I ended up with.

I am really chuffed with it but I would love some critical feedback.

Tony:p

post-32199-133877725158_thumb.jpg

Really good shot. The first bit of feedback is its a bit blown out on the right, too bright you've lost some detail. You need to stop it down a bit or record a video.

What camera did you use to take the photo?

It was taken with some haste tonight to beat the clouds. Taken with a canon 40d.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ah 40D, nice camera. Did you use Liveview to record video then registax to process the AVI to get the bestframes? Backyard EOS allows you to do this, worth a look if you don't use it already.

I simply used Liveview to take still shots. 1/250 ISO1600.

The 40D cannot take video can it?

Edited by kingboya

Great shot. Try taking video with Liveview and then Registax software will pick the frames most in focus and stack them. The results should be better and you don't have to fight focus with due to the atmosphere.

Great shot. Try taking video with Liveview and then Registax software will pick the frames most in focus and stack them. The results should be better and you don't have to fight focus with due to the atmosphere.

You have just opened my eyes to the possibilities of video on my 40d! Thanks for the advice I look forward to trying it out.

No problem - Backyard EOS will do all the hard work for you. There are some settings you need to adjust on your camera so you can also change exposure of the live view video. I don't recall off the top of my head what it is but if you get stuck and find you can't alter the exposure or its not doing anything just just PM me.

nice moon image,for me its a little bright,try slow in the speed down,i find its easier to lighten a dark image,you could try pick in one spot on the moon and take about 30/40 shots and stack them with registax,

try a lower speed 200ths of a sec and iso 100 is there abouts for me here with the 300p its a bit trail and error,

the image you have is great

What can I say, the detail along the terminator is excellent, if you want to get really into your own pic, name the various craters etc, is a brilliant way of learning and all from your own work, great stuff.

Great picture. I tried to get some shots tonight but mine were slightly out of focus.

With regards to the brightness of the right hand side of the shot, try converting the image to negative, the detail is incredible :D

Derek

Thanks everyone for the feedback much appreciated! At least my screen saver is sorted for a while at least!