Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astromaster 130EQ help!

Okay so I'm fresh into astronomy, as recently I got given a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ, but already I've run into a few problems -

The red dot finder seems to be a pain to use - I have calibrated it in daylight, but it still takes me several attempts to line it up on say, Jupiter - Is that because of my inexperience or the actual finder?

The rear latitude adjustment screw on my mount only goes into its hole a very small amount - so I cannot seem to align my telescope by latitude, however this does not appear to impede my use of the telescope.

My slow motion control handles keep falling off! The little screws always come loose - anyone else have that problem?

Finally, can anyone tell me good objects to look at with this scope? Apart from the Moon and Jupiter, what else would be a good starting point?

But overall I am very pleased with the scope and have been rewarded with amazing views of the Moon and Jupiter :D

If anyone has any tips for me concerning this specific scope or just starting in general I'd be more than happy to hear!

Cheers, AZ

Hi, I am also new to this and have the same scope - and yes, the red dot finder is a complete nightmare! I tried very hard to align it in daylight, and have had most success by finding a fixed point on the end of the scope that I rest my nose on each time to view through the finder. Yes, I know it sounds daft! Several people with this scope have upgraded to a rigel or telrad finder - it's on my essentials list. Having said all that I too have had some good views of Jupiter - and the Orion Nebula is fab too! I haven't noticed any bits falling off yet...

Did yours work straight out of the box? I tried mine for the first time on Wednesday night and couldn't see a thing. I think I'm going to have to try re-collimating it (a few people who reviewed the scope on Amazon said theirs needed re-collimating straight out of the box).

Got to get it working as my niece and nephew saw it today and are desperate to use it. Important we get the next generation hooked asap so their enthusiasm was great.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sirius - glad to know someone else know what it's like! I'll have a look at other finders, it may be worth investing in a better one!

Haggis - cheers, that program is awesome!

Kopite - yes, mine worked straight out the box - If I were you I would first try it in daylight to see it it works(:

AZ

Hello Azure,,,I've the same scope and i never use the red dot finder i can never find anything with it i just turn the scope in the direction i want to view,,make sure the screws kinka slot in place and give it a good tighten,,i haven't collimated mine since i got it but i need to soon its just out a bit not by much thou,,The latitude adjuster will move if you lift the scope off the mount it will make it easy to adjust just lift the weights it take the strain of it and it helps

Yeah I have one too, and well unimpressed by the build quality to be honest. It is built to a price point but sold to a higher one. Mine worked out of the box.

My thoughts:

1. Red Dot Finder - Next to useless. I sort of replaced it with one from a cheap Aldi scope but that fell off!! My fault but know how to fix that on easily.

2. The RA and DEC axis locks did nothing to hold the tube still, I could move it almost as easily as with the locks released. I have sorted this by stripping the mount down and cleaning the areas where the locks touch the shafts.

3. The thumbscrews are made of cheesium. They are so weak I managed to shear one by tightening it and I am not that strong! Because they are cheap, they don't have a real good fit. This can be sorted by changing the thumb screws for socket head set screws, I can't remember the size, but they look about 4mm. Also a bit of Blue locktite will stop them comming out again.

4. Whatever grease Celestron use, is pretty sticky, Nothing that a thorough clean out and regrease with something a bit lighter. Being into RC helicopters as well helped in having the lube and locktite ;-)

When it worls it is pretty good, it just needs a bit of fettling

I'd agree with others on the red dot, but I found a little workaround which made it a slight bit easier. If you unscrew the part at the back facing the back of the OTA, you can move pieces of glass (more like plastic around).

If you remove the piece at the front, it is much easier to align with just the single reticle and theres less issues with dew the back piece is protected.

As for slo-mo cables, I didn't have any problems at all if I'm honest, seems sturdy for me.

Moon and Jupiter are great to have a look at and if you can get up early/stay up late then seeing Saturn for the first time will definitely blow your mind :D

You can also get in the faint smudge that is Orion's nebula, very easy to find I'd say.

Hope this helps :(

Zainraza, I agree, the Moon & Jupiter are great, though Jupiter is getting further away at the moment - the Moon however is awesome (as my kids say!) Just spent nearly 2 hours moon-gazing with fantastic detail. Ticking off the Lunar 100 right now!

Still have to spot Saturn - looking forward to that one.

Yes there are issues with the scope but as a first one to get you started I am really enjoying it.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be sure to try some of your gimmicks out.

It's great to know I'm not the only one struggling with the finder - although I must say, the challenges only make it more interesting :D

It is certainly a brilliant scope for its money! I can't wait for this bloomin weather to clear up so I can give it another whirl.

Clear skies all!

AZ

What you want to do with the red dot finder is take the telescope outside, set it up and remove the finder. at this point make sure you grip one end of it between your first two fingers and thumb. Raise the arm and bend the elbow then throw the thing as far as you can in a neutral direction.

Then buy a telrad or Rigel.

I agree, the finder is not worth bothering with, but i've not had any more problems with the scope.

The tripod on the other hand- it creeks like an old ladys zimmer frame!!!

D.C

Archived