Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

So, after much deliberation I took delivery of the above. For anyone thinking of getting one of these then I would say go for it. I finally found them in stock at Warehouse Express - everywhere else told me I'd be waiting about a week.

It took me about 30 minutes to put it all together - a painless process.

I've only had two chances to use it so far but it's been a bit mind blowing to say the least. The first major thing I discovered was Jupiter and four of its moons. I could make out the banding around it and the kids (and wife!!) thought it was amazing. Last night I took the laptop out with me and used Stellarium to navigate around - fantastic bit of freeware that!

Unfortunately, Mars was too low in the sky to view and the clouds started to roll in around 2300.

I've not tried to collimate it yet. I (think) I did a star test last night and it looked to be bang on (from what diagrams I've seen). I will purchase a laser collimator in the next week or two but for now I'm happy with what I've got.

I'll also upgrade the EP's soon as the 10mm is a bit poor although I had been forewarned of that.

I also took stock of a BST Explorer 25mm EP and used it last night to search for the Great Nebula in Orion. I think I found it - I could certainly make out 'clouds' and a myriad of sparkling stars.

All in all it's probably one of my top purchases to date - and trust me, that's saying something!!!! :icon_salut:

nice one Steve and welcome to the dob owners club!

Great telescope, mind you I've got one too so I'm probably a bit biased :icon_salut:. They hold collimation very well and will give you great views.

Great telescope, mind you I've got one too so I'm probably a bit biased :icon_salut:. They hold collimation very well and will give you great views.

Apart from the star test, how would I know if it was poorly collimated? Just a couple of other questions if I may....

Is there a 90° EP I can use on the finderscope? My neck is pretty rubbish and this is the biggest hindrance to me.

Is there a simple way of aligning the finderscope? I find it's a bit wobbly and I have to fiddle around with it quite a lot.

Congratulations, that's a fine scope you've bought there.

It will keep you amused for years.

I would leave the laptop indoors though as it will ruin your dark adapted eye. Either print out the pages relevant for what you want to find, or get yourself a star atlas.

Good hunting

Regards Steve

Is there a simple way of aligning the finderscope? I find it's a bit wobbly and I have to fiddle around with it quite a lot.

I don't think it should be wobbly. Did the finderscope come with a rubber "O" ring? I only ask, because I received a Skywatcher finderscope minus the the rubber "O" ring as well.

Edited by Black Knight

I don't think it should be wobbly. Did the finderscope come with a rubber "O" ring? I only ask, because I received a Skywatcher finderscope minus the the rubber "O" ring as well.

Yes it did. It just seems a bit shaky. I fix it in place with the screws and then it slips. Maybe I've not done it correctly.

"I have an angled finder and dont get on with it, would swap you for your straight one?? "

Where abouts are you? I don't especially want to get rid of my straight one.