Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QSO 0957+561 A+B: Twin Quasar

Uranium235

Tonight, while waiting more M42 to clear the tree I though I would have a little bash as something different, and see just how far this little ED80 will go. After a bit of research on tinternet I found the best candidate to be QSO 0957+561 A+B.

The twin is a gravitaionally lensed quasar with the lensing galaxy being YGKOW G1 (at 3.5bly), the lensing galaxy isnt visible but the the quasar certainly is - as it is split into two distinct blobs. Not much to look at, but at a distance of 7.8 Billlllion light years (said Sagan stylee) its by far and away the most distant object Ive intentionally imaged - its light is twice the age of the Earth. I was surprised the ED80 managed to split it as well, I would have thought this kind of stuff is the preserve of SCTs.

Its nice to do something practical for a change, its not every evening you go out for a visible demonstration of Einsteins theory of general relativity :icon_salut:

Ive stuck on a couple of markers in case anyone else wants a go at it, NGC3079 is a really good pointer towards it.

QSO 0957+561 A+B: Twin Quasar

8x360 (L)

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+, CG5-GT

Thanks for looking :evil:

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=78308&stc=1&d=1327788252

Crop version

attachment.php?attachmentid=78309&stc=1&d=1327788252

post-18171-133877723906_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877723914_thumb.jpg

Brilliant work.

I've been meaning to capture a quasar out of curiosity, and will definitely have a go at this myself. So even the lensing galaxy is 3.5 billion light years away? Wow.

Good grief Rob - This is awesome... and, without any disrespect intended, it's an amazing capture for something as "simple" as a "bog standard" ED80 from a back garden in the UK. I take my hat off to you (and Skywatcher!)

Cheers Andy! :D

There arent that many amateur images of this one knocking about, so I thought it might be worth a try. I did a couple of calculations beforehand to see if it was worth it as the twins have a 6 arcsecond gap - which was just within the capabilities of the setup ive got.

Its a testament to just how good these SW ED80 scopes are (and the Atik of course!). 20 or 30 years ago this kind of thing would be unthinkable for the ordinary bloke in the street, its amazing how technology moves on.

Next, Ive got plans for something a bit more rare & unusual (a Blazar), but whether its do-able is another thing! It might be one for SGL7.

Archived