Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser Guidance (kind of...)

Mattjohnson1978

I agree. I mentioned something similar to this earlier in the thread. Idiots give lasers bad press. It's when they are landing that it's a danger to them I think. If you can get a laser in a pilots eye then they are probably flying straight towards the ground anyway :icon_eek: them windows are high.. Unless the have a glass floor fitted I think we're safe :)

Speaking as a private pilot, one of the problems is that the beam gets scattered and internally reflected within the transparencies (which are usually plexiglas type material) so the effect on the pilot's vision is drastically affected which could lead in a worst case to disorientation and loss of control. Agreed though, it is people who use them inappropriately who give them a bad name.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you're out with the scope and have (or about to have) the laser beam on you should be able to see aircraft lights if they're anywhere near. We certainly see plenty of aircraft lights here and you can see them a long way away. I understand about internal reflections in the aircraft canopy.

Alot of our police aircraft now have plexiglass that filters out the laser beam.

And then a stronger filter on our headset visors to really cut out the dangers.

Like I said its not really a problem, just annoying. And as Gina says only turn on if there is nothing imminent!

A solid beam in the sky is very different to a laser purposefully targeting an aircraft!

Like I said its not really a problem, just annoying. And as Gina says only turn on if there is nothing imminent!

Goes without saying :) will be testing it out tonight with a bit of luck from the cloud gods. Thanks for the further information. Although I knew it wouldn't be a problem it's good to get the true facts from people in the know :icon_eek:

Archived