Hi guys

omeganeb

Hello everyone.i will start by telling you a bit about myself them get on to more impotrant and exiting stuff....my scope.

My name is Tom and im 29....almost.i live in Huntingdon with my fiancee and 3 children.

I class myself as a complete beginner to stargazing despite always having a keen interest in the open skies and the wonders they hold.for a while now ive been looking to get a scope and have been doing alot of research which i think is key to any hobby where there is a wide variety of equiptment to suit different needs and goals......unfortunately alot of it is shits and boasts unrealistic info and viewing/performance results.

Anyway after a good bit of research i had my heart set on an orion xt6.i had budgeted about 300 squidlys and wanted to get the best for my buck and this scope got some amazing reviews.i had a chat to my brother who has been gazing the heavens on and off for donkeys years and he said due to lack of time he was selling his set up for £300 and after researching his scope i decided to go for it so now i have...

Meade etx 105 with autostar,red dot and complete hard carry case

a very nice sturdy meade tripod

An array of nice eye pieces ranging from 32mm-5mm

solar filters etc and alot of books and red torches,comp programes etc

all in all i think he said it was somewhere near £1000 worth of equiptment so i was happy as i knew he wouldnt have sold me ****.

Unfortunately ive not been able to set it up properly yet as the sky hasnt been too kind over this way but me and my family have viewed jupiter and the moon despite it being from our window seal so there was obviouse distortin to the image but it still looked beutifull.

Anyway thats my essay for today.any more info you would like to know on my equiptment just ask.s i said im new to the game but im eager to learn.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.i look forward to trawling it and filling my brain with cosmic info.

Anyone got any input on my set up and did i make the right decision to take it off my bros hands or should i have gone for the orion.it was the extras i got with it that also swayed my decision.despite the 105 being an older model and now discontinued and replaced by its big brother the 125 ive had a couple of reasenable vievs through it.cant wait to get a nice clear night where i can leave it to cool down outside for an hour or so.should get some brilliant viewing.just home my optics are decent enough to give a nice crisp image.

Hi tom and welcome to the forum. Good to do the research and to get a handle of what is out there compared with what you want to do. Looks like you got a good deal there and will certainly get you off to a good start.

Clear skies

James

Archived