Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you select/edit the layer mask PSP X4?

I am not the greatest with software, but I really thought I'd crack this one..

I am merely trying to roughly apply this well known PS guide

Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

to do the job in PSP. But I get stuck at the edit mask stage. I want to select it and do curves, blurs etc but can not get my head around how to select it in the first place to allow editing.

I appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Jesper,

the process is slightly different in PSP. If you read the help on "Applying masks" you'll see they are automatically applied to layers below the mask.

Once you have a mask layer, you can select the opacity and display it with a red background (makes it easier to see which areas are/will be affected.)

To modify the mask just highlight the mask layer and use the "adjust" tab. This allows Gaussian blur/ curves etc to be applied.

Hope this helps.

Merlin66, that's brilliant! I've been through the help file and it made no sense to me but your tips got me spot on! Not to sure I get the 'automatically bit' though, I still only manage to create a mask by a few manual clicks.

But it now appears as if PSP can do this in fewer steps than that particular PS guide. I am very greatful for your help cracking this two day conundrum...

Are you using this verision too?

Here is what I do now for the Trapezium where only the core is the target in this example:

Open Long exposure for background

Open Short exposure for core

Copy and paste Short on Long - Long remains background

Close Short - not needed anymore

Click symbol 'New mask layer' In layer palette

Choose From Image (Source window Long to catch that blown core, Create mask from Luminance)

Highlight the mask in the Layer palette

Right click on mask, Properties - Overlay colour I make it black

Edit mask - curves/contrast/blur then free hand select core and flood fill all outside black

Edit the ex Short to colour match (it'snow called Raster 1)

Finally Layers - Merge - Flatten

You are most welcome to delete/add/modify these steps.

Thanks again!

Sure helped a lot!

Just playing around with my newly acquired working knowledge and using three long forgotten sets of exposures I came up with the image below. Not meant to be great, it takes better sets and more practice, but FINALLY I can practice!:icon_salut:

SGL is such a resource for help!

post-28991-133877723784_thumb.jpg

Archived