SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Why is everything so darn expensive?

Manok101

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My other hobbie "Music" is far more expensive than the initial setup costs for Astronomy. I've been playing guitar for more than 20 years and also have modest semi pro recording equipment. If I sold all my music gear and replaced it with astronomy stuff, I'd be able to take awesome pics of the big bang actually happening!! lol
Funnily enough my musical equipment has funded some astronomy 'extravagances' and paid for christmas this year, it has also helped to appease my OH when she found out what I bought! The other bonus was that because most of my equipment was top end stuff, after 15-20 years I still recovered 50-80% on most of it so definitely got my moneys worth out of it and having sat doing nothing but gathering dust the last couple years was worth selling.

Having my first scope bought for me by my OH the initial expenditure was pretty sedate for me and she is often put out a bit by the fact that I drool over expensive alterantives(/additions :D ) but to be honest most are just pipe dreams and the the first scope is a keeper and I was/am very impressed with it.

Having said that a couple of times have filled an online basket with what I think would keep me satisfied and not having to think of buying anything new (at least for a while) and the subtotal stretches to a whopping £20k (ish). So I could be very happy with the first scope alone or I could keep splashing out on my hobby, really as has been said before its a case of budget, personal taste and outlook. A naked eye look out to the heavens on a dark clear night would cost you nothing and still be quite satisfying.

I reckon it's not too expensive, majority of all of my equipment has come from saving up pocket money and from christmas/birthday. In that time I have a reasonable imaging setup for a barebone price compared to what others pay! One of the Atik/Starlight xpress CCD's + filters etc. probably costs more than my whole setup!

My other hobby is freshwater angling. You can spend loads on that but I've had a lot of fun with less than £100 quids worth of gear. Then there is the annual rod licence of around £35 and £4-£10 per day for a permit, depending on the venue.

If were gonna start competing on 'Other expensive hobbies' try high power amateur rocketry.

I dont fly much these days but even a mid size rocket will burn a 'K' class solud fuel load in 2 seconds... these days, with import costs from the US a single fuel reload is about £140.

Yep... we literally BURN £70 a second.

Ok, so we dont do that often, you might make a couple of flights that size a year... but it's certainly a worrying thought :-)

By comparison... astronomy seems frugal... at least you get to keep the stuff you spend the money on :-)

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

you think this is an expensive hobby.... here's my other one...

thm_24042010019.jpg

5Mpg at best, with wind pushing and going downhill ... lol

supercharged 5.6L V8

Very nice.

What blower are you running. Not a roots type obviously, or is that a pre-blown pic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived