Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Manok101

Why is everything so darn expensive?

I'll second that Paul... divided by the three clear nights i've had in the last six months... sob, whimper.

I've had my 8SE out for maybe 3 hrs since early december. Not entirely blaming the weather. There really are some nights when its clear and you just cant be bothered,or you are hungover (Chinese New Year is a hell of a celebration) or there is a good movie on tv.

I DO feel bad for staying indoors in the warm on a clear night. But if its clear here of late, its too windy.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Thanks to the Chinese, we get solid equipment for a good price. IMO.

As a comparison, for our budget summer holiday in Italy, we just spent 2500 EUR. Everything is blumming expensive - hopefully I'll be able to see the milky way for free.:icon_salut:

Italy was expensive 5 yrs ago when i was there, and to be honest they dont even make a good pizza there. Least not for us tourists. Think i need to go back and spend a few days with my Italian buddy Dario in Milan.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I reckon that with amateur astronomy, you can enjoy the virtues of the hobby for some fairly reasonable amount of money, if you are not big-eyed and do not yearn for the best that is out there. The same stands true for all the other hobbies. Just a cheap old second-hand 4.5" will do. Which is why I have bought myself a Skyliner 300P, flocked it, attached a cooling fan to it and have not experienced a single night out with it yet :icon_salut::evil:

Because the for sale section isn't back yet.

I'm glad it is still gone. I spent a few squids there on stuff that i might not have needed but i wanted.

I also sold a few bits..............so the balance of the universe was restored.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

when i bought my 200p dob, i truly couldn't believe what i got for so little money.

For me I think this amazing hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be!

Once I got to know a few of the constellations, the view of them with the Mark I eyeball is one of my favourite views!

At a star party I love walking into the field and seeing the constellations, especially Ursa Major!

I love being able to see M45. Being able to see M31 and the Beehive out of the corner of my eye.

With a £10 pair of binoculars you can get some lovely views of the moon, some stunning clusters and a decent view of M31.

When I started I thought £35 was a lot of money for a scope! I read in a book in those early days that talked about the price of things that some people would consider spending as much on their gear as they might on a car! Nutters, I thought!

I could hardly believe that, £35 was about my limit. But as we've got more into the hobby and into the imaging, it's frightening how much you can spend on adapters alone!

And then you start adding scopes, mounts, dew heaters, off axis guiders, cameras, bahtinov masks, filters, ...

... then you can't afford a car anymore! :icon_salut:

Edited by Luke

For me I think this amazing hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be!

Once I got to know a few of the constellations, the view of them with the Mark I eyeball is one of my favourite views!

At a star party I love walking into the field and seeing the constellations, especially Ursa Major!

I love being able to see M45. Being able to see M31 and the Beehive out of the corner of my eye.

With a £10 pair of binoculars you can get some lovely views of the moon, some stunning clusters and a decent view of M31.

When I started I thought £35 was a lot of money for a scope! I read in a book in those early days that talked about the price of things that some people would consider spending as much on their gear as they might on a car! Nutters, I thought!

I could hardly believe that, £35 was about my limit. But as we've got more into the hobby and into the imaging, it's frightening how much you can spend on adapters alone!

And then you start adding scopes, mounts, dew heaters, off axis guiders, cameras, bahtinov masks, filters, ...

... then you can't afford a car anymore! :icon_salut:

In a podcast I listened to awhile back (astronomy cast) the lady on there said that most people tend to spend as much on their hobbies as they would their car. I've probably spent enough to buy a car on music and telescope equipment lol.

You guys changed my mind with all this ranting. I will dedicate my time to read and observe with my two eyes and spend my money on more pressing things... Like cameras. They can be used in all weathers, every day and every night and on all occasions. Maybe wide field astrophotography is my limit. As a 65 "senior" I don't have the income that I used to have as an engineer and the economy in "US of A" is getting worst every day. health care costs are rising... My neighbor just lost his house. It pains me that I can use pocket money for a hobby of this kind when people are loosing homes to right and left. I know this is melodramatic, but it has crossed my mind as I looked into the prices of these equipments. Sorry guys, you scared the hell out of me, It is too expensive.

It really doesnt amount to buying the most expensive gear etc. Once you enjoy what you do...............that at the end of the night is what counts.

Just get out there and do what you do and enjoy it.

Astronomy today is a really cheap hobby.

My first scope was a 60mm refractor from Dixons which had to be paid for (by my dad) over 36 months - it cost more than he earned a week.

When I was 18 I saved my wages for over a year to buy an 8" mirror and flat. This was mounted in a home made wooden tube and put on a home made wooden mount.

Today you can get a 10" dob for the average weekly wage...

My other hobbie "Music" is far more expensive than the initial setup costs for Astronomy. I've been playing guitar for more than 20 years and also have modest semi pro recording equipment. If I sold all my music gear and replaced it with astronomy stuff, I'd be able to take awesome pics of the big bang actually happening!! lol :icon_salut:

...the lady on there said that most people tend to spend as much on their hobbies as they would their car.

Must get even more scary if someone's hobby is cars then :icon_salut:

We are living in scary times. I find it hard to commit to spending these days too. I try to tell myself (1) it is not like the money is gone, even new stuff can be sold for perhaps 2/3 of the original price, and (2) you only live once - what price can you put on the quiet happy times we spend stargazing?

As others have said, I think it can be a reasonably cheap hobby, it just depends what you're hoping to get from it. I'm happy to stick to visual, 12" dob, 3 fairly decent ep's, adjustable stool and superwarm boilersuit all for less than a grand. Happy days!

I doesn't necessarily have to cost you an arm and a leg to get going, all you need for starters is a binocular and a good chart. Perhaps you may also want some neat software but a majority of them are freeware in these days and voila... you got yrself a kit to observe many starclusters, some doubles, A LOT of variable stars and even a bunch of galaxies & nebulae that will do for years

Astronomy is not a cheap hobby - and a good thing too. Keeps out the riff raff!

Don't forget that now you can shop from your sofa so easily :icon_salut:.... do some research and you'll save some money. My next purchase is a dovetail + CNC rings, I can buy the two from one supplier only or split the order. By buying them separately from different vendors, I'll save £15. It's only £15 you might say, but for some rings and a stick of metal, it's quite a good saving I must say.

Edited by Gonzo

Tal 2, £100

new ra bearings £10

just ordered 12v to 220v inverter £15

chewing gum and cellotape £5

The experience of astronomy, Priceless

(:D)

I fund my hobby by selling my astro-photos during the summer in the local art exhibition. An A3 sized print mounted and framed sells for £250. I started doing this last year and in 3 months, I sold 47 pictures ranging from A3 in size to A1. I made enough to buy an sbig camera and we also had a small holiday.

Hmmmm, so because I sell the pictures, does that mean that technically it is no longer a hobby????

It can be very cheap:

10x50 binoculars (new) for £12

4.5 inch reflector on flimsy equatorial mount, closing down sale,new, £65

second hand 12 inch Dob, £330.

second hand 80mm triplet Apo refractor, £280.

I couldn't make that stuff for that money or ten times that money.

Anytime I want to do something, and start looking into it I come to realize the only way I'll ever get into just about any hobby is by winning the lottery, which will never happen, and I was just wondering, why are hobbies so darn expensive?

Cause you can sell stuff afterwards for about half-price :D

Seriously. We pay for those moments of painful learning, truth, enjoyment, envy by others, no? Good holidays are not cheap - for the same reason. Anyway, can't think of a inexpensive hobby that is worth it...