Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Nebula

CThody

HAd a play for the fiurst time with a modded 450D last night. Quite leased with this but would appreciate any hints and tips. Celestron C8, unguided EQ5, Atik Clip in LP filter, 17 subs at 70 seconds each, ISO 1600. Processed in K3CCD and CS3.

post-17512-133877723319_thumb.jpg

Very nice indeed ...

But it is way too clipped. Space is never black. Don't overdo the black point and you will find more nebulosity coming through. You have destroyed a lot of it there through being rather heavy on the processing.

Try the processing again and be gentler - I look forward to seeing what is hiding in there as it could be quite a bit.

Thanks for your comments. I agree about the blackness - that is straight out of the camera and not through processing. It seems to be the effect of the clip in filter. Without it I am surrounded by street lamps and Scunthorpe steel works, so the pollution is really bad.

You might still be able to bring up some detail in the black region with judicious use of "curves". Don't push them too much, though, or you might end up with a noisy picture.

I agree with Mick. I bet there is a lot of detail hidden in the dark portions of the image.

Good luck ! Jim S.

p.s. I thought I would have a crack at it. Here is what I was able to get with a very short session in PhotoShop Elements. Hope you don't mind too much !

post-28646-133877723515_thumb.jpg

Archived