Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The grand old lady is back.

steelfixer

Hi all

Well I made the effort and crawled out of bed at 3.30am this morning to see my favorite planet.

I was awoken completely as I met the freezing cold air on the way to open the obs roof.

That rearly was a shock to the system and I started to doubt my sanity.

All faith was quickly restored though as the beatiful image of Saturn arced into view.

I then spent a marvelous two hours taking AVI after AVI of her.

As she was pretty low in the sky and even worse directly over the town center the atmospherics were horrendous.

Still the heat rising off the town had an interesting effect on the colours.

I have attached the best of the photos.

Hope you like them.

Graham.

post-26845-133877723218_thumb.jpg

post-26845-133877723222_thumb.jpg

post-26845-133877723225_thumb.jpg

post-26845-133877723229_thumb.jpg

post-26845-133877723233_thumb.jpg

post-26845-133877723237_thumb.jpg

Nice one.. an old friend, the first planet I looked at through a scope.. Too right is was rather cold. I was just going to bed as you were getting up... just tooo frozen to stay up anymore. Plus I had a couple of close calls slipping over right near the scope!

Thanks folks

Ted - I think the colour changes are due to the heat haze rising up from the town.

Sorry for the late reply, does the heat rising add to atmospheric retraction or something? Not having a significant town nearby i avoid this sort of thing.

Hi Ted

The position of Saturn in these photos ment she was right above the Dock area in the town.

As the heat and general pollution from this industrial area rises it creates some pretty horrendous seeing conditions.

Think of a heat haze you see comming off a road in the summer then add some coloured smoke for good measure.

Thanks

Graham.

Archived