Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tonights unusual Moon

Orion_the_Hunter

Hi, I'm a bit puzzled by tonights Moon. I have attached a sketch to explain what I mean:

Normally from here it looks like the picture on the left, this evening it looked more like the one on the right (ie more like a 'smile' than a backwards 'C'.)

The Moon was low in the sky and also had a bit of Earthshine even though the sky was dark.

My location is 43N 3E.

Surely the Moon should only look like the pic on the right if I was suddenly transported to somewhere nearer to the Equator???

Did you have this effect in the UK too?

What would cause this?

Sorry I couldn't get an actual photo, I didn't have a camera nearby.

Thanks.

post-23174-133877722928_thumb.png

Currently in Florida and the moon is even more of a smile than a C shape. Can't remember ever seeing it like this before. Great views here due to wide open spaces, alligator ponds and lack of street lights.

But since the end of the world has yet to be proclaimed on the TV, I have to assume this moon shape is normal stuff and not an effect brought about by too much of the good stuff in the steak house down the road...!

Anyone care to enlighten the un-enlightened?

Thx, Pete

Archived