Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2" Eyepiece and Filters...Learning Curve!

Dan Watts

Hey all,

I am really stuck i'll be honest...

As you can see on my signature my equipment line-up...I would really like to start looking at DSO's and Nebulas (with the purchase of a UHC filter).

My first issue is I am still learning with eyepieces etc...I would like to see nice views of these DSO's but not sure whether the EP's I have would allow this (fieldview etc) and i'm thinking the 25mm is not wide enough and the 35mm is not powerful enough...Do you reckon it would pay to own something in the middle maybe...I like the look of the Skywatcher Panaview 2" Eyepieces...maybe even the Nirvana 28mm but I think my scope would tip over!! lol.

The second issue and one I have been pondering for ages is whether to invest in a 1-1/2" or 2" UHC/O-III filter on this basis...Being that I want to see nebulas and the fact you don't want too much zoom, i'm edging towards 2", do you have any thoughts? Being that I can also use a 2" thread on my Baader Zoom along with the fixed focal 2" EP's.

Sorry for the barrage of info, I would just like some thoughts if possible.

Thank you so much :)

Dan.

If you plan to own a 2" eyepiece to view deep sky objects then a 2" filter is the way to go. There are lighter 2" eyepieces than the 28mm Nirvana but they don't offer such a massive field of view. The Panaview 32mm and the Aero ED 30mm (particularly the latter) are decent eyepieces and lighter.

If you do go for the 28mm Nirvana you may need to add some counterweighting to the bottom of your scope tube to help with balance. The views though these ultra-wide eyepieces are superb though :)

Hi Dan... in an 8inch I would go for the UHC filter...I would also go 2inch as this can be threaded onto your focus adapter, so you can change eyepieces without keep taking the filter off... I tried the 1.25inch OIII in a 200 skywatcher & it was ermmm french-omelette...crape.

The 26mm panaview will be better than your 'deepview' similar field of view tho... for wider views you would be better with the 32mm panaview... don't discount the cheaper celestron X-Cel LX tho... with 60 deg views are well worth a look at...the 18mm gives good views & can be used with barlow on planets

Hi Dan... in an 8inch I would go for the UHC filter...I would also go 2inch as this can be threaded onto your focus adapter, so you can change eyepieces without keep taking the filter off... I tried the 1.25inch OIII in a 200 skywatcher & it was ermmm french-omelette...crape.

The 26mm panaview will be better than your 'deepview' similar field of view tho... for wider views you would be better with the 32mm panaview... don't discount the cheaper celestron X-Cel LX tho... with 60 deg views are well worth a look at...the 18mm gives good views & can be used with barlow on planets

I was wondering this exact question... So you put the filter onto the SCT, screw the diagonal onto that? Is that what you are saying mate?

Steve

If you plan to own a 2" eyepiece to view deep sky objects then a 2" filter is the way to go. There are lighter 2" eyepieces than the 28mm Nirvana but they don't offer such a massive field of view. The Panaview 32mm and the Aero ED 30mm (particularly the latter) are decent eyepieces and lighter.

If you do go for the 28mm Nirvana you may need to add some counterweighting to the bottom of your scope tube to help with balance. The views though these ultra-wide eyepieces are superb though :evil:

Hey John,

Thank you for the info on the wide field EP's...I might go for the Aero ED, they look great! Maybe in the future the Nirvana might make it's way into my collection...With a little extra weight to counterbalance! lol...I'll be looking at the floor otherwise! :icon_salut:

Dan.

Yeah, after writing this I was outside last night and cracked the 2" Deepview out and was amazed that even for a cheap EP it still gave such a great insight into the stars! For the first time I saw the Orion Nebula...Amazing! My first Nebula viewing and now i'm addicited! :icon_salut:

I will be looking at purchasing a 2" UHC for sure...Which one I am not sure, but the Lumicon would be amazing I am sure! I am glad to have some kind of confirmation of 1.25" UHC/O-III not being up to much cop...Seems kinda pointless I guess without the widefield view.

As I mentioned to John, I will def be looking into the Panaview and Aero ED...Would you recommend a 2" big barlow? Are they worth it?

Cheers,

Dan.

:icon_salut:

I was wondering this exact question... So you put the filter onto the SCT, screw the diagonal onto that? Is that what you are saying mate?

Steve

Hi,

Are you saying I would need to buy a diagonal for the XT8 in order to use the 2" UHC Filter with all my EP's.

I am just a little confused as I didn't think you used diagonals with this type of scope?

Dan.

Yo don't use a diagonal with a newtonian of course so that avenue is not open to you, unfortunately.

To use a 2" filter with your scope:

i) with a 2" eyepiece, screw the filter onto the end of the eyepiece barrel.

ii) with a 1.25" eyepiece, you need a 1.25" - 2" adapter which is threaded for 2" filters. You attach the filter to the end of the adapter then you can use it with 1.25" eyepieces.

It's a bit more fiddly than the option with scopes that use a diagonal, unfortunately plus you will need a new adapter if your current one is not threaded for 2" filters.

Yo don't use a diagonal with a newtonian of course so that avenue is not open to you, unfortunately.

To use a 2" filter with your scope:

i) with a 2" eyepiece, screw the filter onto the end of the eyepiece barrel.

ii) with a 1.25" eyepiece, you need a 1.25" - 2" adapter which is threaded for 2" filters. You attach the filter to the end of the adapter then you can use it with 1.25" eyepieces.

It's a bit more fiddly than the option with scopes that use a diagonal, unfortunately plus you will need a new adapter if your current one is not threaded for 2" filters.

Hi John,

Thanks for clearing up the digonal mystery for me :evil:

Yeah, I may look into the 2" adapter for the 1.25" EP's I have...The XT8 has a 1.25" and 2" Crayford focuser so no worries there.

Thank you for all your help and time taken to reply :icon_salut:

Dan.

Archived