Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

....And another new guy

starnut

Hi everybody, yes I'm new I blame that Stargazing program on the TV for coming on your forum.

I have spent many hours staring up at the night sky while beach fishing and I wouldn't know one star from a planet so lot's to learn and I hope some of you can steer me in the right direction.

Richard

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum! Beach fishing and astronomy seem to be made for each other!

I'm sure that any questions you ask will be answered, but to start you off, I'd recommend that you download Stellarium as a starter and this will allow you to get your bearings around the night sky.

Hello from a fellow newbie (who also blames the Brian Cox effect)! Definitely get the Stellarium program downloaded - I tried it last night after reading about it on here, and I have to say it's fantastic (and free).

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. Yes the BBC has a lot to answer for enticing joe public to get all excited about the night sky!:) Well you have come to the right place as there is plenty of help available to get you started. This time of year is a good time to start as there are many outreach events constantly going on. To that end I would do a quick search to see what your local astro club or observing group is up in order that you can go along to take a look through some of the kit that is there and see some of those objects for real. I wouldn't be in a rush to buy any gear except of course some binoculars, as the scope chosen will depend on what it is you want to do or observe.

Clear skies

James

Hi Rich, relative newbie here too. I had a Tasco refractor which is ok but as a god awful mount. I have just ordered the Skywatcher 150P and EQ3 and RA motordrive. (Whispers).....not the one I told the wife I ordered. She thinks its a Skywatcher 130P. Well......she'll never know will she :)

I blamed it on Prof Brian Cox too. On the brightside I have been a semi pro photographer in my time and still have a Cannon 50D which will be getting used at some point.

I hope you find what you want on here. I have Stellarium on my PC and a great app called "Star Chart" on my Ipad2. I actually think that is better than Stellarium as you can put it nightmode, take it outside and wherever you point it.....it lines the stars, M's and Nebs up perfectly.

Have fun

Archived