SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mounting Binoculars for Astronomy

Excellent article and nicely illustrated.

I was looking at the UA parallelogram mounts a couple of days ago. It seems like the cheapest models the UK importer has are £300+. But on the UA US site they had one at a much more reasonable $169 - i.e. $ not £. Presumably that is why the pistol grips are seemingly more popular here: because the only parallelogram mounts are really pricy.

Another interesting related link perhaps is:

Image-Stabilize Your Binoculars! - Do It Yourself - SkyandTelescope.com

Pistol grips are good, but they cannot replace a P-mount for convenience, except in setup time and amount of kit to transport -- but I can set up my P-mount and big bino in under 10 minutes. Interesting article there. I'm sure it works, but it takes away one of the main attractions of a small bino: extreme portability.

UA mounts are really good. Larry is justifiably proud of what he produces. They are pricey, but I think it's worth it. My T-mount cost around $400 when I got it but, in 9 years, that has worked out at less than a dollar a time I've used it. Makes observing much cheaper than going to the pub!

I'll just try to add here my experience from tripod ball-heads. I don't feel very comfortable with any handle on the tripod head any more, and I stopped using them. Especially I didn't like that it is near my chest, face, or I had to reverse the handles. Reversed, was difficult to control them. For long time I am using Vanguard SBH-300 & SBH-250 ball heads. Both are very good and easy to use with all binoculars. Can handled from 10X50 to APM 100 45 deg of 7.5 kg aiming to the zenith. With the appropriate tension on the 3 control knobs, work very smooth like fluid heads do.

Archived