Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I just bought a EQ mount with a RA motor for my DSLR and after figuring out how to use it (a dob only guy up till now..) i took these pics. not too great but im psyched! I attached a small refractor to it today so I am hoping to do better tonight! The focus is so hard to nail down, any suggestions?

post-23692-133877722619_thumb.jpg

post-23692-133877722624_thumb.jpg

Nice start indeed!

The focus is so hard to nail down, any suggestions?

There are many many threads on that subject, try a quick search. Basically there are software and hardware sollutions. So you either use something like a Bahtinov mask to create a diffraction pattern, or use software to analyse a star you pick in the image with a FWHM value. Not sure about the US EOS names... do you have live view?

Yes the camera has liveview. however the subject is usually too dim to show up. i just take lots of smaller exposures until it looks right then do a long one. it works somewhat well.

you could give Download Digital Photo Software - Edit, Rename, Transfer, Load Images and Create Web Page Galleries a try, scroll down to DSLR remote pro (third one down). you will need a laptop connected to camera using the usb lead to download files from camera to laptop. Ensure you set the camera settings to pc connection not print/ptp or the software wont let you take a pic. Then just keep adjusting the focus take another pic until you get the correct focus you want.

The only downside to this is it is a 15 day trial .

Edited by soggybongo