Hi from Staffordshire

Rustmonkey

Hello to you all.

This is my first post on here but I have been using the forums for the last few days to help me decide which Telescope to buy. I have just ordered a Skywatcher Explorere 150p and an RA motordrive as i wish to do a bit of Astrophotography in the future. I was going for the 200p but sadly budget what with the motordrive was out of reach.

I see that the 150 gets good reviews and hope to be able to see for myself shortly. The AP can wait a while as I want to learn the astronomy side of the hobby first.

one question i have is.....can I attach the skywatcher red laser scope directly onto the 150 without the need to drill holes? and would I need it or is the already fitted scope easier to use. I only ask because i have a Tasco refractor scope with a really poor basic mount and scope and to be honest, hunting for the objects with that was a nightmare. I thought maybe the laser scope would make this less of a chore.

any help or advice welcome.

Rustmonkey:icon_salut:

Hi and welcome to the forum. The finder that will come with the scope will a good one but like any typical optical finder, it will show you an upside AND inverted (where the left shows up on the right) view which can create its problems in locating objects, especially when you are stating out. Try looking at the Rigel finder, as it is a bit smaller than the highly praised Telrad. Not a laser finder but a red dot finder which allows you to use one eye for the night sky and the other on the dot which will then allow you to place the scope very near the area of choice, to then fine tune with the optical finder to help the final positioning of the scope. Using the red dot and then the optical finder together, will ensure that you can easily locate objects (light pollution aside!). Using a laser pointer is fine as well of course but in cold weather the laser will eventually fade and of course, it will draw attention to yourself which may or may not be desirable, Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now and please ask further questions if unclear.

James

Archived