Is an EQ3-2 a serious tool?

Hi all,

New here and 1st post!

I have a skywatcher explorer 150P on an EQ3-2. I intend to use the scope mainly for visual with a little ap (with dslr and samsung scb-4000(like) integrating video camera). Currently my mount has no motor drives.

My question is, is this mount up to job? I have been thinking of getting the RA drive, but am wondering, if this mount is adequate for my needs I might wait, save some money and upgrade it to goto. If the mount is a little noddy, I'll get the RA drive for now and at some point in the next few years upgrade to a better mount with goto... I would if possible like to keep things fairly portable.

Thanks for any advise...

Kev

I had this problem last year. My thinking was that if I was buying motors I might as well be doing it for the EQ5 since they are the same price and selling the EQ3 and buying a second hand EQ5, of which there are many. The Celestron CG5 GT then caught my eye, then the HEQ5...

Long term options.

My thinking has been called many things in the past - but this is what it thought on the occasion in the scope shop:

If you buy the mount with the package you are paying about £100 for it. Use it, learn from it and when it is time to upgrade sell it - normally the sell price on an Eq3-2 mount in A1 is around £80 - £100 on eBay. I am planning to upgrade to an EQ5pro (£480 from FLO) when I feel I am ready.

The 150P on an EQ5 would make for a nice stable platform. However, it all depends on the level of AP that you want to do. If you want to get the best from the mount and camera, then you'll need the pro goto version which has the built in ST4 port should you want to use the finder as a guider with a suitable camera with an ST4 port so that you can get decent guided long exposures.

You can of course by the bog standard mount and then add the goto option at a later data, but you do save a bit by buying the goto version of the mount, and if you use an laptop could guide the scope using a webcam attached to the finder and software such as PHD.

I think a heftier mount with integrated drives would be a much better idea. Planetary imaging is certainly possible with an EQ3-2 with after-market motors and quite a few people on these forums do so very successfully, but I think that's about your limit.

James

Thanks for the replies, kind of backs what I've been thinking, in that there is little point spending much on the EQ3-2, certainly not worth the £300 goto kit. As I'm mainly into visuals at the moment, I think I'll stick to playing with the webcam (possibly get an RA drive), save some money until I want to get more into ap and splash out on an EQ5 Pro SynScan.

Again Thanks for tips...

I think it all depends on the level of AP or imaging that you want to get into. Moon, planetary and solar (with filter) can all be done using a basic web cam on an EQ3, even un-driven as the results are stacked in software (although a driven RA helps). The problems of stability, accuracy and tracking only really becomes a problem when taking long exposures with a dslr, of fainter DSO objects. The reason the HEQ5 syntrek / synscan and EQ6 are often classed as the mount of choice for anyone wanting to venture into imaging or AP is because they have the highest precision stepper motors in the SW range of mounts.

That's not to say that you can't achieve good results using a modified EQ3, but it does involve a bit of hacking and re-wiring of the hand controller to allow ST4 type guiding... it depends if this is something you would feel comfortable with doing

If you've got a laptop nearby then planetary imaging on an EQ3 manual is pretty easy. Sharpcap with the reticule on and watch the screen to keep it centre. Using registax 5 you get a box to align in so a two minute avi is easy to deal with.

Archived