SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First DSO and need advice

Hi this is my best attempt of the orion nebula without using lights, darks flats etc. Truth is I don't know how to.

I am quite happy with the outcome for now but I was wondering how to take a decent image of the horsehead nebula. I was looking for it for the last few times I've been out but couldn't even find it. I've only recently discovered how faint it is compared to the orion nebula. Is there a lot more involved in taking a picture of it?

hve7tw.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://stargazerslounge.com/hve7tw.jpg

I'm not an imager either but I think the Horsehead haves most of it's light near the infrared. I'm not sure but maybe you'll need a modified SLR to capture it.

Anyway I really don't know what I'm talking about so the best advice is to give it a try. To capture it try putting the left most star on the Orion belt on the top center of the frame. The HH is right bellow it and the flame neb is to even closer to the left of that star.

that thing with the HH is that it needs lots of exposures to capture it. just the other week i tried with my modded dslr but it even though it was half moon i got 2 hours worth of data and when stacked it was hardly visable not trying to put you off but what camera are you using?

Hi enigmacell.

Nice pic by the way!:)

Here is a link to a tutorial I used in the beginning:-

My Quick DeepSkyStacker Tutorial Flintstone Stargazing

its not a complete tutorial but it will get you started.

I would also recommend buying 'Making every photon count' by Steve Richards who is a member here. Its designed for beginners in astrophotography & is full of useful information that will help you to advance in AP.

Jeff

Where it says Picture Files, just point to your lights (i.e. your images), darks, bias and flats. Tick Check All, then hit Register Checked Pictures.

By default it will register and stack all the frames it can. When it has finished it will display an image on the screen. You probably won't see much in it, you will probably need to adjust the histogram curve for red, green and blue to line up the peaks. Then refresh the image and save the resulting picture.

There is more to it than that, but that's it, in a nutshell.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Or what Astronut said! :)

Archived