Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Out for a week

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bells.

If you saw me, I'd have been set up in the lower observing field, below the parking lot.

Here's a picture of the setup from this year:

PIC_0199.jpg

I'm pretty sure you'd remember it if you saw it. In this photo, the C8 is focused on Saturn, with the 6" F/9.5 behind it showing Venus. Time is ~7:45 PM. My wife Rosie is in the pink hat to the left. :) What time approx. would you have visited?

Hello Astroman,

I don't remember seeing your unusual mount so I probably didn't stumble across you. I was there about 9-10 but it's a couple of years ago so it's a little bit hazy in the mind now. I didn't think the sky was that impressive there, what do you think? Perhaps I've been spoilt by seeing the Colorado sky at 10,000 feet in the middle of the wilderness near Aspen/Crested Butte. Now that was very very impressive.

The last time I was at the canyon was April last year when I got married at the bottom of it.

Perhaps I will see you next time I go that way.

Regards

Matthew

Sky conditions, as anywhere, depend a lot on the weather. I've had better nights at home and elsewhere than the Canyon, but some of the most memorable have been at Grand Canyon. Also, there's more to it than pure observing, as you're showing the sky to people that may have never looked through a telescope before and wouldn't know the difference. :) The best feature is it's dark. The worst may be the canyon itself, as it tends to make its own weather, depending on the temperature gradient from bottom to top. Seeing can go to heck in an instant, or stay solid all night, it just depends. I've had better nights at Kitt Peak or Mauna Kea too, but I wasn't sharing at the time, if you get my drift.

If you're in the neighborhood of Phoenix, drop me a line. :)

Archived