SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did we just see????

blinky

In the East over Edinburgh a few minutes ago. 3 red things in the sky? In a kind of formation, wondered if it was the shuttle but see another post that says launch is 00:38 UK time. Any ideas? Did they launch early?

If it was the shuttle then Wow!! is all me and the missus can say, what a wonderfull thing to have seen.

Never seen anything like it in my life. Deffo a UFo in my opinion. 3 red point of light in a looose formation, about 2 moon diameters appart. The middle one seemed to go into a cloud and fade away. A few seconds later the other 2 dissapeared before I could get the camera on the tripod.

Just had a though,what about fighter jets with afterburners on? Would have to be very very high as we could hear nothing, but only thing I could think of.

What colour where they Blinky?? And how high up? The reason I ask is because I've been witness to something similar sometime back. 3 in the formation, and silent. Turned out to be geese.. :)

Caz

I have just watched a very bright object serenely flying West to East about 45 degrees above the horizon. No other colour but reflected sunlight. I would guess at ISS, but I have not checked with Heavens Above, as I am going to watch the Shuttle Launch now. If I can find a transmission somewhere.

Ron. :)

I may have your UFO pegged. There are quite a few triple satellites that fly in formation which can be seen overhead, launched by US navy, i think they were launched to study the oceans :) and they fly in a distinctive triangle formation. Have seen them once in aviemore and found it a bit spooky until i used the power of Google.

Geese? Not unless they glow in the dark! Satellite in formation, reflecting sunlight? At 24:40, I thought the sun was well gone by then? Hmmm.... As it was nearly pitch dark it was very difficult to gauge the hight etc but they did seem to be very high and they were silent. I was wondering if it could have been a fireball that burned up and this was the remains, although they were moving very slowly. They were visible for about one and a half minutes before 1 faded, then the other 2 just faded away 20secs later. When I say formation in thinking about it thats maybe a bit misleading. They were flying in the same direction but I suppose they were not in a formation as such. Also what about some space debris burning up?

I did check Starry Night but could not see three satelitte's I could however see the odd one that was flying over around that time. I have seen satelittes before and these looked nothing like them, I suppose these looked a lot lower and were slower travelling than satelittes.

Hi Blinky,

Just a wee note regarding sunlight. For our latitude the sun is currenlty less than 18 degrees below the horizon at the darkest point of the night so it's conceivable that planes at high altitude would still be catching some sunlight. Cant work it out exactly sorry lol

Paul

The Geese did glow, the streetlight reflected off them.

Seeing a formation moving across the sky, late at night, you never think for a minute that it could be birds! I thought they only flew during the day, but someone informed me (I forget who now) that they actually do fly at night.

I'm not suggesting for a minute it was birds that you saw, just sharing my experience. :)

Caz

I may have your UFO pegged. There are quite a few triple satellites that fly in formation which can be seen overhead, launched by US navy, i think they were launched to study the oceans :) and they fly in a distinctive triangle formation. Have seen them once in aviemore and found it a bit spooky until i used the power of Google.

I read about those USN jobs, can't remember where. Don't recall anything about red lights though.

Archived