Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wear an eye patch?

Flaxinator

hi SGL, as a keen mythbusters fan, watched an pirate special episode where they talked about the possible reason why pirates may have worn eye patches over good eyes, reason being to keep one eye dark adjusted, just as we try to keep our eyes dark adjusted when observing etc, I wonder if eye patches should be a useful accessory for astronomy especially when observing in the back garden?

Paul

I use one when I remember mostly so I can relax my eyes rather than over squinting at the eyepiece

Bart

Likewise, they are essential when you spend a long time at the eyepeice, also usefull to keep your observing eye dark adapted when you nip in to make a brew.......do look a complete idiot..but it keeps the mrs entertained :)

Likewise, they are essential when you spend a long time at the eyepeice, also usefull to keep your observing eye dark adapted when you nip in to make a brew.......do look a complete idiot..but it keeps the mrs entertained :)

Ha !

I know what you mean. The night I came in in wearing a snood, an eyepatch and a headtorch , my wife stared at me incredulously ....

I think it was at that point she began to worry .....

Bart

I used to use one all the time to make it easier to relax and see more. I think over the last couple of years my eyes must have got used to squinting through a scope for long periods because I don't find I need it much anymore.

Mine has a skull and cross bones on it :)

was just wondering, which eye does every use to view and does it correspond to which hand you use, ie: left or right handed?

I'm righthanded and observe with right eye. But sometimes use left just in case I'm missing something out with my right !

lol i tried a eye patch,and as already mentioned when walking back towards the house ,the neighbors seeing a strange guy with 3 coats on, a head torch,eye patch ,hat efing and blinding from a converted greenhouse with a white tube sticking out the top it was getting me funny looks in the day time

A patch cured my headaches.

I've been to 3 pharmacies and all 3 kept them under the counter.

When I enquired I was informed that they only sold Eye pads??.

I asked why they only sold one per pack,they assumed that some people would try and wear more than one.??

I asked why they only sold one per pack,they assumed that some people would try and wear more than one.??

I do recall, years ago, a series of adverts promoting a well-known beverage which was claimed to "refresh the parts...." (am I allowed to quote brand names on here?)

One of them depicted a pirate, complete with eye patch, peg-leg, parrot and hook-hand. The next frame depicted same pirate imbibing of said beverage. The third frame showed the same pirate, but now with two eye patches, two peg-legs, two parrots and two hook-hands.

Go figure...

I've been to 3 pharmacies and all 3 kept them under the counter.

When I enquired I was informed that they only sold Eye pads??.

Maybe..., but they'd never be able to find their way back to the chemist to complain!

Archived